|Date Posted:||May 1, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jun 1, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Monitoring and Evaluation|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade BAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
The purpose of AMELA is to provide monitoring, evaluation, and learning support services/assistance to strengthen the implementation of USAID development programs in Afghanistan, and to build the technical M&E knowledge and skills of USAID/Afghanistan Mission staff and stakeholders. The services provided under AMELA will contribute to supporting USAID/Afghanistan as an effective development organization with strong learning and adaptive management processes.
The GIS Data Management Specialist will work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialists to identify where particular types of interventions are most effective, and why stabilization outcomes and impacts may vary across sub-district, district, provincial, and regional geographies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Use statistical techniques such as spatial autocorrelation and cluster analysis, spatial and temporal lags, potential surfaces, hot and cold spot predictions, and spatially weighted regression, or other geographically sensitive techniques of statistical modeling.
· Assess existing USG GIS systems to determine suitability for project data management and analysis needs.
· Work closely with a sub-contracting firm to design, implement and maintain a GIS for the collection of M&E data if necessary.
· Work closely with USG and bi/multi-lateral counterparts to acquire relevant spatial datasets.
· Perform spatial data management and acquisition, and train local staff in the collection and management of data as needed.
· Monitor quality control of the database through regular audits to ensure data quality, accuracy, consistency and completeness.
· Ensure that the database complies with all appropriate standards.
· Minimum of five (5) years’ work experience in the application of statistical techniques in spatial analysis, spatial database management, GIS programming and visualization.
· Master’s degree in GIS, geography, social science or a related GIS-intensive discipline.
· Demonstrated social science research accomplishments applying and/or developing GIS tools and techniques.
· The ability to work independently while effectively communicating with the non-GIS-experts making up the M&E team is essential.
· Demonstrated Information Systems background with skills and abilities in data collection procedures, systems analysis, database design and information systems project management, and experience with remote sensing and image processing, and the spatial analysis of violent conflict and/or international development programs would be a plus.
· Prior experience on USAID funded projects and/or in Afghanistan or similar conflict environments preferred.