|Date Posted:||Sep 27, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Oct 9, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About General Directorate of Programs and Design:
The Head Finance and Administration Department shall contribute to the work of the Department as an active member of its Team. He /she shall facilitate and assist in the establishment of operational principles, work practices, procedures, routines and disciplines necessary for the discharge of the Departmentâ€™s function within the Capacity Development Secretariat (CDS). The Head shall ensure the proper planning, scheduling and organization of the Departmentâ€™s work.
Without limitation on the generality of the foregoing, the Head of the Finance and Administration Department shall
Duties & Responsibilities:
Familiarize him or herself with the practices and procedures prescribed by Government of Afghanistan â€“ particularly as by Ministry of Finance and IARCSC, and by international donors supporting the work of the CDS.
2. Exercise leadership in facilitating the work of the department, ensuring proper integration with other parts of the Secretariat as well as other parts of the IARCSC.
3. Ensure that the Departmentâ€™s principles of operation, as set out in the Unit Description, are adhered to.
4. Keep abreast of the current and future needs of CDS, its programmes and projects, and recommend measures necessary to meet them. This shall include needs in the areas of personnel, organisational structure, financing and administration.
5. Ensure that work plans for the Department are prepared and kept updated, maintaining a balance between productivity, systems development and improvement, and professional development for the staff.
6. Carry out regular debriefing /planning session with CDS personnel to ensure that their work is maximally relevant to the departmentâ€™s purposes and priorities.
7. Monitor departmental outputs both with regard to quantity and quality. Monitor the cost-effectiveness of the work of the Department and ensure that resulting data is used for the development of strategy and procedures and the formulation of departmental work plans.
8. Participate as a member of the Directorâ€™s Advisory Committee. Maintain close contact with the Director CDS, for the development of strategic thinking and necessary planning for the provision of finance and administration services.
9. Identify those features of existing financial and administrative systems that need to be improved in order to deliver better quality services for the support of programmes for which CDS is responsible, and take all steps necessary to bring about such improvements.
10. Provide support to the International Financial Advisor and take into account his or her advice or counsel.
â€¢ For each project or programme under the control of the Secretariat manage financial arrangements in accordance with the relevant Financial Manuals. Ensuring compliance with the GoAâ€™s fiduciary standards, those of World Bank and of any other donor agency with which the Secretariat cooperates.
â€¢ Lead the process of results based planning and budgeting for the Secretariat and provide guidance and support to CDS personnel not acquainted with the programme budgeting approach.
â€¢ Ensure that annual budgets are prepared for the CDS and each of the programmes and projects for which it is responsible.
â€¢ Serve as a certifying officer for the Capacity Development Secretariat on matters of financial and administrative management.
â€¢ Monitor expenditure against budgets; analyze variances between budget and actual expenditure and, in consultation with the Director CDS, make any adjustments necessary.
â€¢ Liaise with the World Bank on disbursements and financial management issues.
â€¢ Ensure that necessary documents relating to the remuneration of programme appointees are filed and available for audit and for inspection by donor missions.
â€¢ Working through the Senior Administration and Finance Officer, ensure the proper planning for the provision of all administrative services required for the support of CDS and its various programmes and projects.
â€¢ Ensure the development, testing, introduction and institutionalization of a computerized searchable data base to support the needs of all departments within the Capacity Development Secretariat and the programmes and projects for which it is responsible. Serve as the interface between the CDS and its needs and external service providers.
â€¢ In accordance with GoA procurement regulations and the procurement regulations of relevant donor organizations, establish sound procurement, contract administration and contract supervisory procedures.
â€¢ In relation to the issuance or cancellation of contracts for the performance of services by appointees engaged under programmes administered by the Secretariat, liaise with relevant Ministries and other government bodies.
â€¢ Carry out any additional similar or related functions as may be assigned by the Director CDS.
The post carries a probationary period of three months, after which, upon confirmation, the appointee may continue in post for a total period of 12 months. The contract shall be renewable annually subject to the availability of funds.
1. Ensure that work plans for the Department are prepared updated, maintaining a balance between productivity, systems development and improvement, and professional development for the staff maintained.
2. Financial arrangements of Secretariat programs in accordance with the relevant Financial Manuals managed accordingly.
3. Annual budgets for the GDPDM is developed.
4. An effective administration system is in place.
The Head of Finance/Administration shall report to Director of Operations.
â€“ Minimum requirements
1. A Bachelor Degree in Business Administration-Finance Management or relevant fields.
2. At least 5 years of relevant experience.
3. Excellent skills in computing, including word processing, MS Excel, MS Access;
4. Excellent written and spoken English and Dari or Pashto.
â€“ Desirable attributes
1. Ability to draft clear and concise reports and correspondence;
2. Ability to lead and manage the team;
3. Accuracy at work, attentive to details and sensitive to priorities;
Notice of revision
These terms of reference may be revised subject to operational needs.