|Date Posted:||Oct 10, 2010|
|Reference:||( ANSA 03 ) ANSA / Afghanistan Building|
|Closing Date:||Oct 28, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Economic Growth|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||1 month|
About Afghan National Standards Authority:
The objective of the project is to develop four construction codes (Building Codes): Architectural codes, Structural codes, Urban Development code, and Highways and bridge design code, which will lay the ground for a modern, safe and sustainable building design and construction practices. The project will also ensure competition in the construction sector as well as safer building practices through development of series of building codes compatible with Afghanistanâ€™s geography, landscape and weathering. The building codes will comprise of the set of four codes in the following order:
â€¢ Architectural Design Codes (Fire safety, rain screen, accessibility, fire separation, finishing, landscape design, interior design, floor functional programming, architectural planning, acoustics design, lighting design and more.
â€¢ Structural Codes (small buildings, large buildings, foundations, concrete structures, steel, wood, fibre polymer reinforced concrete.)
â€¢ Urban Development Codes (city planning, green area design, land development, urban development design, industrial and commercial area design....)
â€¢ Highways and Bridge Design Codes (Highway planning, road planning, highway design, bridge design, culvert design, Bridge rehabilitation, Structure evaluation). (for Current job)
Afghanistan Building Codes (ABC) while an interpreted version of the international codes will have the following specifics:
â€¢ Compatibility with Afghanistanâ€™s soil, weather, geography, landscape, geotechnical specifications and cultural specifics.
â€¢ Compatibility with seismic and other loads in the country
â€¢ Compatibility with the citizensâ€™ including the business community needs for living space, green space, storage space, parking space and business sharing uses.
In due regards to the crucial role of Standards in economic growth and development, private sector improvement and consumer protection Afghan National Standards Authority is established.
ANSA is and will be the unique standard body in Afghanistan authorized and responsible to prepare and implement national standards in the country.
ANSA was awarded a grant to develop the Afghanistan Building Codes (ABC). In order to create reasonable working conditions for the Building Codes Technical Committees (TC); a national officer is needed to organize the daily work of the TC and supervise the process of codes translation, adaptation, interpretation and publication.
Provinces to travel:
Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, Building Codes Development
1. To develop a work plan within 2 weeks
2. Study means of Building Codes development or other technical specifications
3. Contribute to the preparation of draft Highway and Bridge Design Codes (HBDC) for adaptation and publication.
4. Active participation in Technical Committees (TC) and Working Groups (WG) for ABC development and act as the secretary of TCs
5. To prepare draft technical documents including design methods, procedures, regulations, normative, etc
6. To prepare/process the adoption of applicable regulations, rules, guidelines, and procedures
7. To establish and maintain working communication with relevant sector ministries, other government agencies and private sector
8. To prepare periodic and subject specific reports as and when required
9. Any other assignments given by his/her supervisor
Other job functions include:
7. Maintain document and data control for the Codes Development
8. Assist in the maintenance of work instruction manuals for job positions
9. Ensure compliance with documented procedures, work instructions and guidelines
10. Provide documentation of Codes to the technical committees
ï‚§ To develop draft Building Codes and policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures related to Codes development activities in compliance to ISO/IEC and International Building Codes directives and guides
ï‚§ To actively maintain communication with relevant institutions in the national, regional and international level
ï‚§ Prepare the documents and assist in preparing Work Program for TC before submitting for approval to Technical ANSA Deputy Director general.
ï‚§ Active participation in capacity building program in the field of standardization within ANSA
The HBDC Officer is reporting to the Expert of HBDC Development committee
1. Qualified candidates will have a four year bachelor's degree (postgraduate degree holders will be preferred) in the field of Civil Engineering, Structural engineering or any other related field, Minimum Two Years of experience is required
2. Computer proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, CAD and SAP
3. Strong math and organizational skills along with ability to meet deadlines
4. Must have the ability to multi-task in a fast pace heavy workload environment
5. Ability to read and interpret technical procedures
6. Strong communication and interpersonal skills
7. Ability to work independently while also operating in a team environment
8. High level of integrity motivation
9. Fluency in Dari and Pashto, and English drafting skills. Demonstrates good written and oral communication skills in English, Dari and Pashto.
10. Builds trust and engenders morale by displaying open, transparent and credible behavior