|Date Posted:||May 14, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 24, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade BAF|
|Years of Experience:||7 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About ICMA SHAHAR:
1. Project Background:
During 2015 and 2016 SHAHAR was implemented in the Deputy Ministry of Municipalities (DMM)-Independent Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG) and 20 provincial municipalities across Afghanistan: Aybak, Maymana, Mazar-e-Sharif, Puli Khumri, and Shibirghan in the North Region; Asadabad, Chaharikar, Gardiz, Ghazni, Jalalabad, Maydan Shahr, Mihtarlam, and Puli Alam in the East Region; Kandahar, Lashkar Gah, Qalat, and Tirin Kot in the South Region; and Feroz Koh, Hirat and Qala-I-Naw in the West Region. For 2017, the program focused on DMM, the two regional hub provincial municipalities of Mazar-e-Sharif and Kandahar, and the following 12 small- and medium-sized provincial municipalities: Aybak, Maymana, Puli Khumri, Shibirghan, Chaharikar, Gardiz, Ghazni, Mihtarlam, Puli Alam, Lashkar Gah, Feroz Koh, and Qala-I-Naw.
In 2018 and 2019, to support the government of Afghanistan in establishing and maintaining long-term stability in key cities, SHAHAR will focus its program activities and technical support on DMM and the four regional hub provincial municipalities of Kandahar, Hirat, Mazar-e-Sharif, and Jalalabad. Kabul Municipality is also included as a key beneficiary of the program.
IDLG’s Deputy Ministry of Municipalities is responsible for supporting/strengthening, coordinating overseeing, managing, and regulating the affairs of all municipalities in Afghanistan, with the exception of Kabul as the national capital. DMM envisions municipal institutions that are responsive to citizens’ needs and priorities and bring in a positive change to the lives of urban citizens through good urban governance and the provision of municipal services and infrastructure.
The Senior Policy Advisor will be responsible for managing the SHAHAR activities in DMM related to the development of nationwide policies, guidelines, directives and the interpretation of national policies and laws affecting DMM and municipalities. S/he will be physically located at DMM and will provide mentorship, facilitation, training, and other technical assistance as needed.
Requires travel to provinces:
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Policy Advisor’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advising DMM on the development of nationwide policies, directives and guidelines;
- Provide technical assistance to DMM to improve the enabling environment for gender mainstreaming in municipalities;
- Serving as technical guide/lead to manage and maintain the technical content of the IFMS Legal and Policy Module;
- In conjunction with the Senior Municipal Regulations Advisor (international STTA), supporting the revision and the development of guidelines, regulations and standard operating procedures for municipalities.
- Coordinating with other SHAHAR DMM embedded advisors to ensure seamless support across all DMM and municipal functions, especially where areas of responsibility overlap;
- Other duties as assigned by SHAHAR’s Senior Technical Director and/or DMM’s Director General for Urban Governance.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- A Master’s degree with five (5) years relevant governance experience in Afghanistan, with at least two (2) years’ experience at the municipal level or a Bachelor’s degree with 07 years relevant work experience, particularly in the areas of public and administrative Policy, and the development and interpretation of Policy and implementing regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- Experience providing institutional and capacity building/strengthening through training, mentor ship, and facilitating;
- Strong analytical skills with good problem solving skills & creativity, supported by good writing skills.
- Fluent in Dari and/or Pashto and strong written and spoken English skills (FSI 3S/3R) required.
- Previous experience and familiarity working in Kabul, Afghanistan.