|Date Posted:||Jun 16, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Jun 23, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Human Resources|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||Fresh|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
About United Nations Development Programmes:
UNDP has been providing gender technical support to the Government of Afghanistan through the Ministry of Womenâ€™s Affairs (MoWA) since 2002. In 2007 UNDP signed its project on Institutional Capacity Building for Gender Equality (Gender Equality) with the MoWA and the Ministry of Economy (MoEc) to strengthen capacity of selected state institutions for the advancement of gender equity and womenâ€™s empowerment in Afghanistan. During the 3 year duration of the Project from 2007-2010 (May), it developed effective gender mainstreaming models and strengthened the capacity of government ministries and institutions at national and sub-national levels. On completion of this Project, UNDP, Afghanistan has developed a new project which builds on the piloting initiatives of the previous project and focuses on 3 key objectives which are in line with the goals set out in the ANDS for gender equity and consistent with the Millennium Development Goals of gender equality and empowerment of women. The project has three components. These 3 objectives are:
1) Scaling up of capacity-building and policy development interventions of partner ministries through the development and implementation of sound governance strategies at the national and sub-national levels in partnership with line ministries (with emphasis on the Ministry of Womenâ€™s Affairs, MOWA), parliament and other institutions and networks engaged in the promotion of gender equality, including the development of gender-sensitive learning channels and production of knowledge-based products on gender mainstreaming.
2) Focus on the socio-economic empowerment of women through the design and implementation of demand-driven and context-specific poverty alleviation activities in line with major national policies.
3) Facilitate the inclusion of women in the peace and reintegration process by establishing linkages with relevant UNDP projects/initiatives of other development partners and initiatives for promoting a gender inclusive approach.
In addition, the emphasis of the new project is to enhance the capacity of the counterparts and other ministries and institutions involved in the implementation of the project both at the national and sub-national levels. The position of the Human Resource Officer has been created to support the management of the implementation of the new Gender Equality Project.
The Human Resource Associate will work in close collaboration with the Human Resources, operations, and programme team in the CO and project team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Summary of key functions:
â€¢ Administration and implementation of HR strategies, policies and guidelines;
â€¢ Administration of human resources contractual matters;
â€¢ Policy advise on contractual, recruitment and staffing matters of the project staff;
â€¢ Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
1. Ensures administration and implementation of HR strategies, policies and guidelines, adapts processes and procedures to ensure effective sourcing, selecting and placement of human resources that meet project requirement focusing on achievement of the following results:
â€¢ Full compliance of HR recording and reporting systems with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework, proper functioning of the HR management system.
â€¢ Provision of advice and information on corporate strategies, changes in rules and regulations, implementation of personnel rules, strategic use of contractual modalities, application of entitlements, change management processes.
â€¢ Positions are filled to meet staffing needs, based on effective matching of individual competencies to position requirements, using cost-effective assessment techniques;
â€¢ Management of transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes including proper job classification, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates and the appropriate use of different contract modalities;
â€¢ Recruitment of good candidates, including international, national and UNVs, who match competency profile of positions, in accordance with UNDP/UNV Staff Rules and requirements;
â€¢ Effective support to management's internal staffing reviews, including development of staffing/vacancy projections;
â€¢ Organization of interview panels, preparation of summary reports of interview panels and for the project management;
â€¢ Smooth and efficient contracting and appointment of project personnel, and coordination of benefits/entitlement management;
â€¢ Current and prospective staff members and other personnel provided timely and authoritative guidance on recruitment and contracting policies, general conditions of service and business orientation;
â€¢ Organize and conduct orientation for newly recruited staff on UNDPâ€™s goals, mandates and relevant rules and the Gender Equality project objectives.
2. Oversees the project HR administrative matters regarding contract administration and benefit/entitlement management for international and national staff personnel, focusing on achievement of the following results:
â€¢ Organization of recruitment processes including drafting job description, provision of input to job classification process, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, participation in interview panels;
â€¢ Creation/update of positions in Atlas, association of positions to chart fields (COAs), update of COA information, setting up vendor, performing the functions of Admin.HR, Position Administrator and Absence Processor in Atlas. Preparation of contracts (100/300 series, SSAs, SCs) and recurring vouchers in Atlas. Timely follow up with Finance staff on payroll issues;
â€¢ Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas;
â€¢ Maintenance of the Gender Equality project staffing table;
â€¢ Administration of the Gender Equality project staff rosters and attendance sheets;
â€¢ Smooth and effective coordination with the CO HR unit of the administration of appointments and related benefits/entitlement management for international professional and national staff;
â€¢ Management reporting of all transactions related to staff, recruitment and other required HR data;
â€¢ Develop and update Gender Equality project recruitment plan from time to time;
â€¢ Performing any other task as assigned.
3. Provides policy advice on contractual, recruitment and staffing matters and develops/applies innovative staffing policies, guidelines and strategies to meet project requirements, focusing on achieving the following results:
â€¢ Smart, reliable and timely advice given to project management for effective and efficient staffing of positions;
â€¢ Strategic and operational support to the GE management to implement staffing and recruitment actions, including deployment/ re-deployments of staff members;
â€¢ Technical support to advisors/staff based in different ministries and provinces on contractual and staffing policy, practices, rules and procedures.
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
â€¢ Participation in the trainings and workshops on the human resources;
â€¢ Synthesis and sharing of lessons learnt and best practices in HR;
â€¢ Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Education and Experience:
â€¢ High School Certificate or Bachelorâ€™s degree in HR, Business or Public Administration;
â€¢ Relevant working experience is required at the national or international level in human resources;
â€¢ With high school certificate 5 years of experience and with bachelorâ€™s degree 3 years of experience is required;
â€¢ Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web based management systems.
â€¢ Familiarity of working with the government institutions UN Agencies and international organizations will be an asset;
â€¢ Excellent understanding of Gender and Development issues in Afghanistan;
â€¢ Knowledge and understanding of the socio-cultural settings of both urban and rural level in Afghanistan;
â€¢ Commitment to the improvement of gender equality and womenâ€™s development;
â€¢ Excellent communication skills in English, Dari and Pashto both oral and written.