|Date Posted:||Feb 23, 2011|
|Closing Date:||Mar 2, 2011|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||1200 - 1500 USD undefinedUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||No|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About Basic Education and Employable Skill Training (BEST):
BEST (Basic Education and Employable Skill Training) is a registered non-for-profit development oriented Afghan Non-Governmental Organization established in 27th of April 2001. The Organization has a regional coverage through undertaking various Developmental, Relief and Emergency Projects in different sectors (education, capacity building, vocational training, community development and etc) for Afghan Returnees and local communities in Afghanistan.
BEST is implementing Initiative to promote Afghan civil Society (I-PACS) project funded by Counterpart International/USAID. The main goal of the program is to increase the role and viability of civil society in Afghanistan by providing capacity building training and small grants to civil society organization showing potential to be sustainable effective organizations.
The I-PACS Project Manager leads a team in the implementation of the I-PACS project, focusing on the establishment and development of a local Civil Society Support Center to deliver training, technical assistance and access to information to local CSOs. Primary responsibilities include planning, implementing and following up on project activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Recruit and lead an I-PACS project team to plan, implement and follow up on all project activities. Manage project staff, providing ongoing supervision and guidance.
2. Lead the establishment of and manage the CSSC for the assigned region, ensuring effective and equal (to women and men) provision of services (training, technical assistance, access to information, etcâ€¦) to clients.
3. Assist in training and supporting/mentoring a team of trainers to provide training to CSOs.
4. Conduct training and contribute to the development of I-PACS training modules as needed and requested.
5. Provide direct technical assistance as practical and according to areas of expertise.
6. Ensure that project reporting requirements are met. Oversee data collection and prepare periodic narrative and statistical reports on project activities.
7. Work actively with partner ISO and Counterpart to coordinate project activities. Help to ensure that I-PACS project initiatives/activities in OD, training, grant-making, Gender, and Media are well-coordinated.
8. Establish and strengthen effective relationships and communication with CSOs and communities.
9. Promote awareness of the CSSC in the assigned region, including using the media.
10. Ensure that gender sensitization and awareness have been incorporated in various kinds of services, trainings and activities provided by the center for CSOs.
11. Participate in the development of Work Plan/ Action Plans.
12. As requested, contribute to overall I-PACS project planning and development.
13. Assist in addressing issues rose by the CSOs and suggest program changes or enhancements as appropriate.
14. Identify training and other resources and as requested, assist Counterpart to develop a database of training and OD resources.
15. Participate in promoting the exchange of project information and expertise across the country.
16. As requested, assist in planning for facilitate and/or participate fully in meetings and ad hoc working groups.
17. Keep informed of Civil Society issues and developments in Afghanistan.
18. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The I-PACS Manager will report to the Program Coordinator
Qualifications and Experience:
1. University degree preferred.
2. Minimum of two years of work experience. Experience in working in an NGO is highly desirable.
3. Working knowledge of the issues and objectives of civil society.
4. Demonstrated facilitation, consulting, and / or training experience required.
5. Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate and influence.
6. Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening.
7. Fluency in Pashto, Dari and English.
8. Good computer skills, including experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet, Outlook and Data-Base (Ms Access).
9. Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
10. Strong sense of adaptability and ability to work and live in a stressed and result-oriented environment.
11. Professionalism in appearance and demeanor.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required
1. Excellent coordination, planning and reporting skills
2. Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
3. Analytical and problem-solving ability
4. Ability to think strategically and to act in the best interests of BEST as a whole
5. Ability to communicate in English a plus
6. Ability to travel to the provinces covered by the I-PACS partner
7. Computer skills to include Internet, MS Word and MS Excel
8. Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
9. Ability to work under pressure.