|Date Posted:||Jul 8, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 23, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||1 - 2 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat), is the UN agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable town and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, has been working within Afghanistan since 1992 with the funding support of USAID, Japanese and Australian Governments, EU, DFID, CIDA, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), Kingdom of the Netherlands and several bilateral donors as well as the World Bank. During this period, its Programme expanded to include a wide range of human settlements initiatives, from small-scale neighborhood level improvement schemes to community empowerment.
This position is located in the Operations Section, the UN-Habitat Afghanistan programme, Kabul. Under the general supervision of the Programme Management Officer, the incumbent reports directly to the ICT Officer.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Information Technology Assistant will be responsible for the
Desktop Administration and Configuration
- Assists in monitoring personal computers running the UN software delivery system to ensure that software distributions are being delivered correctly.
- Assists in performing software distribution updates, scripting, testing, and support.
- Performs research into new versions of centrally supported software and performs beta testing, production rollout, and post-production support.
- Performs 2nd level desktop troubleshooting for the sessions of the Committees.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Service Installation and Support
• Attempts to resolve as many problem calls or service requests on initial contact.
• Performs tasks related to scheduled service requests, including equipment replacement, equipment installation/de-installation, software installation, LAN connection, returns to stock, site surveys, etc.
• Diagnoses and resolves any hardware, software, or connectivity problem with minimum delay.
• Provides basic training to end-users on the use of standard systems.
• Logs all actions in the automated tracking system, including site survey information, steps taken to resolve the problem, or to complete tasks, problems encountered, current status, etc.
• Escalates problems to the appropriate parties in accordance with the established procedure.
• Detects problem patterns and recommends solutions.
• Keeps abreast of developments in technology both in the UN and in the industry in general.
Procurement and Logistics
• Receives, unpacks, and inspects all ICT incoming assets.
• Obeys and enforces all security procedures.
• Troubleshoots cleans, and repairs/rebuilds equipment.
• Performs hardware and software configuration in accordance with the established procedure.
• Monitors inventory levels and alert supervisors when low thresholds are reached.
• Recommends acquisition of hardware, software, devices, tools, etc. to facilitate work.
Provides effective information technology support to staff and users in installation, operation, maintenance, and service delivery of hardware and software at UN-Habitat, Afghanistan programme.
Knowledge of information technology and applications, including computer system networks. Good technical skills, ability to conduct network maintenance, provide server services, and user support. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailor’s language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or
services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
A minimum of two (2) years of experience in information technology or related fields is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another
official United Nations language is desirable.