|Date Posted:||Mar 25, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Apr 10, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||3000 - 4000 USD monthlyUSD|
|Years of Experience:||4 - 5 Years|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About World Health Organization:
In February 1949, when the first session of the WHO Regional Committee for the Eastern Mediterranean was held in Cairo, the world was still recovering from the wounds inflicted on it by the Second World War. The historic first session reflected then the vision and determination of eleven countries with similar values, heritage and aspirations to work together in a unique partnership, and start building a better world for future generations. The exceptional spirit of partnership and collaboration that has governed the relationship between WHO and its Member States in the Eastern Mediterranean Region over the years, resulted in landmark achievements bringing health and hope to all corners of the region. Let us acknowledge our achievements, so that we may build on the success to meet the challenges of a new world ahead
Under the supervision of Country Emergency Preparedness and IHR PHO and and overall responsibility of WHO WHE team and in close cooperation with IHR NFP of MOPH;
A- Plan, organize, implement, assess and report on IHR national activities.
B- Provide technical support to the IHR NFP.
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective (Overview of the programme):
- To support the development and implementation of the IHR activities at national level.
- To assist in development of proposals for the Health Emergencies regarding IHR core capacities improvement.
- To ensure technical and institutional capacities for effective IHR core capacities.
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment):
Afghanistan is a disaster-prone country with numerous recurrent natural and man-made disasters. The protracted complex emergency situation and prevailing insecurities negatively affects more than 50% of the country’s preparedness and response core capacities, thus increasing the vulnerability and impacting communities’ resilience. Hence the all hazard emergency risk assessment, coordination, risk reduction, preparedness and response approach should be in place and operational to reduce the morbidity, mortality and disability due to such emergencies especially among vulnerable population.
The WHE department of WHO is supporting the ministry public health emergency preparedness and response technically in improvement of the country core capacities to deal with the emergencies of any event.
Provinces to travel:
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
• Good knowledge of public health and emergency health service delivery strategies.
• Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability of coordination, planning, implementation, M&E and reporting on emergency health interventions.
Ability to frequently travel (up to 40% of time) to the provinces and implementation sites
Duties & Responsibilities:
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Organize and assist CPI focal person and MOPH IHR NFP in the implementation of the National Action Plan for Health security (NAPHS).
2. Assist the IHR NFP in timely reporting of events to WHO
3. Assist the IHR Afghanistan team in the preparation of and organization of the IHR Multi-sector committee Meetings.
4. Assist in the development and implementation of the Capacity Program for the POEs health staff.
5. Assist Afghanistan IHR team in the update of the National Public Health Law.
6. Assist in the development and organization activities to assess the national preparedness and response capacities to all Hazards.
7. Assist CPI focal person in the preparation for the Health Emergency Risk Assessment in Afghanistan.
8. Assist Afghanistan IHR team in the raising awareness and resource mobilizations for the NAPHS activities.
9. Assist CPI focal person in the IHR monitoring and evaluation activities including after action review (AAR) for natural emergencies and infectious disease outbreaks.
10. Assist in the implementation of self-reporting and JEE
11. Any other tasks assigned by the CPI WCO Focal person.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Bachelor’s Degree in health sciences
1) Communicating in a credible and effective way
2) Fostering Integration and Teamwork
3) Effective use of resources
4) Moving forward in a changing environment.
Essential: Essential: Minimum of 4 years’ field experience of emergency health service delivery and working with MOPH/NGO. At least one-year experience in national disease surveillance and response, or IHR components.
Desirable: Relevant experience in the UN system
Languages: Fluency in oral and written Dari and Pashto. Good verbal and writing English language Skills.
Screening of the candidates:
- Long List - The candidates shall be longlisted base on the minimum qualifications and relevant experience to the Vacancy Notice (VN).
- Short List - Further shortlist shall be done base on years of relevant experience, higher education and required skills.
- WHO may conduct written/presentation and interview or combination of the mentioned mediums to select the most qualified candidate.
- WHO is an equal opportunity employer and qualiﬁed women are particularly encouraged to apply and equally qualiﬁed female candidate will be given preference.
Interested applicants (Afghan National) meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit their applications quoting this Vacancy Announcement Number (WHOAFG-2020-03-12) along with their curriculum vitae, copy of National ID (Tazkira) to below mentioned email:
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. ONLY CANDIDATES UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEW AND TEST.
WHO is a smoke free environment.