|Date Posted:||Oct 9, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Oct 19, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
About Ministry of Economy:
The GIZ project “Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication” (MEC) is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development BMZ since 2013 and the German Federal Foreign Office AA since 2017 to take care of Public Relations, Communication, Monitoring and Evaluation of German Development Cooperation’s Portfolio in Afghanistan as well as to support the Afghan Ministry of Economy in building up capacities in Monitoring and Evaluation. The project has two objectives:
The main objectives are:
1. The public, political multipliers in Afghanistan and decision-makers in Afghanistan and Germany are informed evidence-based and gender-sensitive about German cooperation with Afghanistan.
2. The Afghan Ministry of Economy has established a reporting system on the progress of national development projects on the basis of M&E.
The MEC Project is looking to hire one consultant for MoEc to support the staff of the MoEc in managing evaluations of national development projects.
Background: The Ministry of Economy (MoEc) seeks to assess national development projects in order to: (i) improve future aid policy, programme and projects through feedback of lessons learned; and (ii) to promote a basis for accountably, including the provision of information to leadership, decision makers and public. The main assignment is to guide, train and assist the employees of the MoEc facilitate and manage the impact evaluations.
- Advanced social science research skills and statistics including strong data visualization skills.
- Evaluation design experience, including the selection of data collection methods on a question-specific basis and development of a detailed data analysis plan.
- Experience in working with government officials
- Excellent English language skills
Experience in conducting capacity development measures is an asset
Duties & Responsibilities:
The assignment of the consultant is to guide, train and assist the employees of the MoEc to prepare and manage the impact evaluations. This includes the transfer the knowledge and building up required capacity for the management of evaluations in the MoEc.
Specific tasks of the consultant will be to support the staff of the Department of Policy and Results Based Monitoring in selecting relevant projects to be evaluated as well as planning, tendering, managing and assuring quality of the evaluations which are to be conducted by an external company.
The assignment will include the following tasks specifically:
· to develop a learning format, which enables accompanying learning for the employees of the MoEc about the process of an evaluation
· Support development of initial evaluation designs
· Support to manage and consult third-party firms to successfully conduct the impact evaluations.
Specifically, this entails to:
· Support the MoEc in selecting relevant national development projects to be evaluated based on the preferences of the MoEc and predefined criteria
· Support the development of Terms of References for evaluations (this includes among other the following points)
- Support technical team to reproduce the project’s theory of change.
- Support the M&E staff of MoEc to identify given performance indicators of the projects for measuring the progress of intended results
- Support the staff of MoEc to develop relevant initial evaluation objectives and questions
- Define criteria to select capable consultancy to conduct the evaluation
- Support the MoEc to select a capable consultancy to conduct the evaluation
· Support reviewing the consultancy’s inception report
· Support the MoEc in quality assurance during the implementation phase of the evaluation (including among other reviewing research/evaluation design and practice)
· Act as focal point for communication between MoEc staff and the consultancy during the evaluation’s implementation phase
· Support the staff in MoEc in reviewing the consultancy’s final evaluation report
· Further specifications for each individual assignment will be given to the selected consultant as and when the services are requested.
The consultant is expected to provide the following deliverables:
- Work Plan for the assignment
- Elaborated accompanied learning format for staff of MoEc (in written form)
- Written justification for the selection of projects to be evaluated
- Terms of references for the consultancy
- Justification for selection of consultancy which will conduct the evaluation
- Comments on the submitted inception report
- Comments on the final report and certification of the report.
- Format for and presentation of selected programs’ and/or projects’ evaluation results (jointly with staff of MoEc).
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
The consultant should have the following criteria and qualifications:
- Proven experience (at least five years) with managing and conducting impact evaluations (quantitative and qualitative) and associated tools (data analysis, determined score matching, regression gap, etc.)
- Advanced degree, particularly Master, in international development, Economics, Political Science, Statistics for related social science field