|Date Posted:||Mar 31, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Apr 30, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 10 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||4 months|
About American University of Afghanistan:
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The Department of Academy is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position Instructor/Assistant/Associate Professor of English as a Second Language. Rank will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and the needs of the University. It would be expected that successful candidates begin work in the fall semester of 2020. A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The job is located in Kabul, Afghanistan.
This regular faculty appointment is a full-time, nine-month, non-tenure-track faculty position, one-year, three-year renewable, with the potential to be converted to a multi-year position. Teaching responsibilities include a four/four teaching load consisting of intermediate and advance level English language courses. In addition to teaching and mentoring, AUAF faculty responsibilities include scholarship and university service.
Key outcomes include:
o International quality teaching and learning
o Scholarship that benefits student learning and the mission of the university
o Advancement of the university through service
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
Faculty fulfill the roles and responsibilities described in the Faculty Handbook and university policies and procedures that detail specific faculty duties. Major responsibilities are listed below.
Except for holidays, university closures, weekends, and other breaks, faculty are expected to be working on campus in Afghanistan during the base contract period. The base contract period refers to an academic year consisting of two semesters, including pre- and post-semester faculty workshops and advising. The contractual period extends from one week before the start of the first semester to one day after spring graduation, which full-time faculty are required to attend.
Teaching and Mentoring
• Teach up to four pre-university non-credit courses (12-15 contact hours) per semester, evaluating student work and assessing student learning outcomes.
• Participate in weekly team meetings.
• Hold regular office hours and work with individual students, acting as an academic mentor.
• Remain engaged and current in the field.
• Assist in orientation and test administration.
• Remain scholarly active, contributing scholarship that goes beyond professional engagement to include the creation of intellectual products that are available to internal and/or external audiences.
• Contribute to the overall well-being and development of the university.
• Service to the university includes both internal activities and external outreach on the behalf of the institution.
• Service can take many forms, including fostering collegiality, participating in the life of the university, assisting in curriculum review, participating actively in committee work, developing the capacity of external stakeholders on the behalf of AUAF, consulting and grant-writing for the university and service to the external community
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
o MATESOL degree or Master’s degree and TESL certification.
o Significant teaching experience in western higher education and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
o Excellent oral and written English skills.
o Publications or evidence of professional engagement.
o Experience teaching in international, multicultural, developing and/or post-conflict settings preferred.
o Ability to work in a team.
o Experience with curriculum design and creating assessments.
o Experience teaching oral skills
o A strong sense of values and ethics, consistent with the mandate of the American University of Afghanistan.
o Demonstrated experience with a learning management system, Canvas preferred.
o An additional preferred qualification is the experience of assessment development and/or curriculum development.