|Date Posted:||Dec 29, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jan 12, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade CAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About HEDP / MoHE:
Afghan policy makers perceive higher education as a vital engine of growth and development. The higher education system produces a pool of high level human resources, including policy makers, administrators, managers, entrepreneurs, engineers, medical personnel, highly skilled technicians, as well as qualified teachers and academics, that are essential for economic development. The availability of such a pool of well-educated human resources will be of central importance for the overall future development of the country. Recognizing this, the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank (WB) have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Higher Education Operation that will succeed the previous Strengthening Higher Education Project (SHEP). The new Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) will support the overall Government’s own effort to expand and strengthen its higher education sector. THE PROJECT The proposed project contains two components: (1) A program component that finances strategic initiatives to develop the higher education sector. The strategic initiatives are (a) increasing participation in universities in priority degree programs for national economic development, (b) modernizing and enhancing the quality and relevance of teaching and learning; (c) expanding the professional qualifications and skills of academic and technical staff; (d) strengthening governance, quality assurance and accreditation; and (e) stimulating development orientated research. And (2) a program operations and technical support component that would support project coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, research activities, human resource development for academic managers and administrative and technical staff, policy studies, beneficiary satisfaction surveys, communications and policy dialogues. The Director of the Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) will coordinate and facilitate the implementation of HEDP in close collaboration with its relevant departments. . OPERATIONS AND MONITORING SUPPORT TEAM Support under OMST will cover coordination, technical assistance (TA), monitoring and evaluation, research and policy studies, and communication. The technical assistance and capacity building activities of this component will assist the MoHE to implement the development initiatives of the NHESP-II. Policy studies could include tracer studies of graduates to analyze their job search and labor market experience, as well as beneficiary satisfaction surveys of staff and students of institutions and programs supported by HEDP. Resources for communication would enable higher education authorities to disseminate development initiatives to political authorities, policy makers, academics, students, and the general public. The team would help MoHE to fine tune policy reforms, such as piloting and evaluating innovative approaches to promote female enrolment in priority programs. Component 2 of the Projectwill also finance the incremental operating costs of an Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the MoHE.
The position is for the duration of the project, subject to satisfactory performance. There will be a probation period of three months. Annual performance evaluations will be organized by the Director, OMST. Feedback will be obtained from the MoHE for the performance evaluation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· The Internal Control Officer will be directly reporting to the OMST Director and provides a way for monitoring and measuring of the OMST resources, policies and procedures.
· Internal control officers is responsible for increasing the operational efficiency of organizations, detecting and eliminating fraud and miss management and ensuring compliance with relevant regulations.
· Identify shortcomings and recommend suitable changes to management.
- To work with a range of documents, compiling internal control reports and preparing presentations for senior managers
- Prepare the internal control guild line and ensure that workers have an intricate understanding of all internal control guidelines and standards.
- Conduct regular check to verify whether departments follow the established procedures.
- Conduct a control system on the day to day staff attendances and regulations.
- Implement training to ensure employees have adequate awareness and understanding of internal control standards.
- Evaluate the need for an Internal Control function.
- Establish and maintain a system of internal controls and a program of internal control review.
- Making a weekly ICO report summarising activities and findings/deviations/recommendations.
- Participate in investigations and inspection.
- To address specific training and development needs to fill compliance gaps.
- Conduct risk assessment of departments/functional areas in accordance with timelines.
- Develop and implement appropriate operating procedures to ensure compliance with MoHE policies and local laws.
- Monitor and provide advice to management to minimize risk resulting from poor internal controls.
- To conduct any reviews or tasks requested by Management.
A Bachelor Degree in Finance, Management or Administration from a recognized university or an equivalent professional qualification such as ACCA, CA, CPA, CIA or CAT. Mminimum of five years working experience in relevant field.Experience in a national or international organization would be an advantage.Ability in computer software relevant to the field, office package and internet usage.
- Thorough knowledge of the roles and regulations in the required discipline
- Ability to speak, read and write excellent English, produce project reports in English for regular and continuous presentations and computer literate
- Ability to interact with senior academics and administrative staff in the universities
- Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members
- Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations