|Date Posted:||Jun 30, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Jul 9, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||Fresh|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
The Interns will work at the AREDP offices in Kabul, Parwan, Bamiyan,Kandahar, Nangarhar, Balkh,Heart, Bamiyan and Badakhshan,.
The Interns will closely collaborate with AREDPâ€™s Safeguards and Gender Unit to develop the Gender Resource Bank. The interns will receive an intensive 10-day training program on gender and will also be briefed on AREDPâ€™s gender equality strategy that guides gender mainstreaming within the AREDP programming cycle. The interns will receive further training on the methodology for conducting surveys and developing a database - which will be the basis for AREDPâ€™s Gender Resource Bank.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with the other interns to design survey questionnaires and then develop a database;
- Conduct a survey on gender in the relevant provinces (Kabul, Herat, Bamiyan, Nangarhar, Balkh and Parwan). The survey will target national and international organizations working on gender, womenâ€™s organizations, and the local communities in the mentioned provinces. The main survey questions include, but are not limited to the:
o Current capacity in Afghanistan to address gender equality;
o Challenges for recruiting women as AREDP staff and encouraging them to take part as the beneficiaries;
o Monitoring and evaluation framework to measure progress towards gender equality.
- Simultaneous to the survey, engage with different organizations working on gender issues to collect reports, policy papers, and other documents related to gender in Afghanistan. The interns will submit these documents to the AREDP PMO for the Gender Resource Bank;
- Compile the survey questionnaires and prepare individual reports of their provinces;
- Enter the data into the AREDP gender database with the support of AREDPâ€™s Safeguard and Gender Unit,;
- Prepare the final report of the survey with the team of interns;
- Present findings to AREDP-PMO and put forward specific recommendations for AREDPâ€™s Gender Equality Strategy;
- Other tasks and assignments as required.
- Knowledge of gender context in Afghanistan;
- Experience in preparing survey questionnaires and developing a database.
- Current study in a field relevant to development; social sciences, gender, law, political sciences;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and the internet;
- Fluent in Dari and Pashto; ability to speak and understand English;
- Basic knowledge of report writing;
- Good written and oral communication skills;
- High-level interpersonal and relationship-building skills including diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with persons of various cultures;
- Ability to work in the field and conduct a survey;
- Ability to determine and review priorities, plan and meet deadlines;
- Ability and willingness to work in a high pressure environment and insecure post-conflict environment;
- Ability and willingness to multi-task and work under pressure;
- Professionalism in appearance and demeanor.
4.0 Reporting relationships
Report to the Head of Safeguards and Gender Unit of AREDP.
5.0 Period of Assignment
The intern assignment is for 6 months.