|Date Posted:||Aug 21, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Sep 30, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||15 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Sheladia Associates Inc,:
Sheladia Associates, Inc. is a minority-owned and operated business founded in 1974 and headquartered in the metropolitan Washington DC area, with international offices located in Afghanistan, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Pakistan, Philippines, and Zambia. We design and build infrastructure worldwide — both physical and institutional — to support economic growth and strengthen the capabilities of our clients and partners. We are dedicated to providing outstanding service and recognize that successful projects hinge on having the right people on the job and doing it right the first time. Our staff includes some of the most seasoned architects, engineers, construction managers, project managers, technical consultants and support staff in the industry. Sheladia’s unique approach to design, development and implementation of the project includes a clear understanding of project objectives and goals, coordination of local stakeholders and property owners. We strive to provide creative solutions in a sustainable way. Our solutions evolve from our complete understanding of complex regulations, knowhow,and our multidisciplinary approach that takes the project from concept through completion. Sheladia has received many awards for excellence in design and has established an excellent professional reputation for quality work completed on time and within budget. The trademark of our services has been its responsiveness to clients’ needs. This philosophy has been elemental in establishing Sheladia as a leading consulting firm in the region. Sheladia is a professional multidisciplinary consulting firm with experience in Structures and Facilities, Transportation Infrastructure, Energy, Rural evelopment, and Water Resources & Sanitation. The firm has been providing full Architectural & Engineering Services and Development Consulting Services since 1974 in the United States and throughout the world, implementing projects in Asia, the Middle East, Europe, Africa, and the Americas. Sheladia provides project development services that include economic and financial analysis, policy design and institutional strengthening, planning and feasibility studies, detailed engineering design, environmental and social studies, procurement assistance and management, maintenance planning and management, construction supervision/management, and monitoring and evaluation. In the international arena, Sheladia provides technical assistance to governments, their agencies, and private sector entities to strengthen and support institutional capabilities through organizational development, technology transfer, and training.
SHELADIA Associates is a multi-disciplinary international professional consulting firm with demonstrated experience in the successful management and implementation of development projects throughout the world and Afghanistan. SHELADIA works in over 70 countries throughout Asia, Africa, and the Americas. We are currently looking to fill the position of Irrigated Agriculture Specialist /Irrigated Engineer / Deputy Team Leader for Arghandab Integrated Water Resources Development Project (AIWRDP) project.
Requires travel to provinces:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Team Leadership
- Support the CPMO in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting obligations under the grant;
- Provide a point of contact between the AISC team, government CPMO and Kandahar PIU project management structures to coordinate activities of individual specialists;
- Assist in the preparation of annual work plans and associated budgets for consideration by the government and ADB;
- Assist the CPMO and PIU in the identification, design, preparation, and implementation of project activities;
- Manage the inputs of specialist consultants engaged through the AISC contract and guide their activities to ensure inputs are timely and achieve their intended purpose; and
- Other tasks agreed with the project management.
2. Irrigated Agriculture
- Review and strengthen agricultural extension and programming capacity of DAIL;
- Assess the on-farm agricultural technologies and practices, and identify improved technology and practices to be introduced;
- Lead the CPMO and Department of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (DAIL) PIU in the selection of demonstration sites and partner farmers based on the prioritized crops, and the site visibility and access by other farmers;
- Assist the CPMO to prepare Agreements governing the purpose, roles and responsibilities of the CPMO/PIU and the demonstration partner farmers, and partner agricultural mechanization contractors;
- Lead the CPMO and DAIL PIU in the design of demonstrations in participation with the partner farmers, including technologies for land preparation (e.g. laser levelling, bed forming), high-efficiency irrigation application, soil moisture monitoring and irrigation scheduling systems, seed and variety selections, nurseries, integrated pest management and integrated crop nutrition, good agricultural practices, protected cropping, trellising;
- Prepare a schedule of development for each demonstration, and supervise its implementation;
- Prepare and supervise the implementation of an extension program to promote climate-smart and water efficient agricultural technologies and practices using the demonstration farms;
- Lead in the selection of a small number of established agricultural contractors (i.e. who hire out services to farmers using their own tractors), and organize their training and equipping with laser levelling, bed forming implements and other climate-smart improved agricultural mechanization technologies;
- Prepare and supervise the implementation of a program to demonstrate the improved land preparation and leveling technologies using the partner agricultural contractors;
- Prepare demonstration design plans and procurement lists, and assist the CPMO in procurement of materials, works and equipment for demonstrations;
- Advise the CPMO and PIU in the selection of on-farm technologies, practices and systems eligible for investment support under the sub-project matching grant scheme;
- Foster the development of agro-input suppliers and linkages of farm advisory services to farmers;
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kandahar
· Must have Minimum of Master’s degree in agriculture, horticulture or another relevant subject.
· Preferably have 15 years of irrigated agriculture, preferably within a south-central Asian context, and with transition from traditional flood irrigation to micro-irrigation, laser leveling and bed forming technologies, agricultural extension, and farm business management.