|Date Posted:||Jul 15, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 29, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture Engeenring|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade CAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Kabul Municipality:
The Kabul Municipality (KM) has received a grant from the World Bank toward the cost of the proposed Kabul Municipal Development Project (KMDP). That builds upon the now closed Kabul Urban Reconstruction Project (KURP) which financed upgrading similar to the works envisaged under the proposed project.
The Kabul Municipality is responsible for implementing Kabul Municipal Development program (KMDP) and Eshteghal Zaiee Karmondena (EZ-KAR) Project on behalf of the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The primary focus of the KMDP is to increase access to basic municipal services in selected residential areas of Kabul City and strengthen municipal finance management of Kabul Municipality and the project development objective of EZ-KAR is to strengthen the enabling environment for economic opportunities in cities (including Kabul Municipality) where there is a high influx of displaced people.
The KMDP Development Objectives are to: (i) Increase access to basic municipal services through investments in critical infrastructure in selected residential areas of Kabul; (ii) redesign KM’s Financial Management system to support better service delivery when reforms are implemented. In the event of an eligible emergency or crisis, this operation will also enable early emergency response through the provision of a quick access to funding. During the project restructuring for the Immediate Response Mechanism (IRM), the results framework will be adjusted to capture the results from the use of the funds for the IRM and reflects any significant changes expected in the original PDO.
The EZ-KAR Development Objectives are to (i) Support for Afghan Refugees in Pakistan, (ii) Short the term employment opportunities and market enabling infrastructure under IDLG, (iii) Prioritized urban investments in four provincial capital cities, (iv) Market enabling infrastructure and reforms for Kabul Municipality and (v) Project Management, Implementation support and national regulatory reforms.
Background of Kabul Greenery Department:
The Kabul Greenery Department (KGD) functioning under Kabul Municipality owns more 112 parks within and in the outskirts of the city covering a total area of 6.6 km . Majority of these parks are not in good condition requiring improved irrigation system and facilities required for a typical park management. Roadside and medians are the other major source of urban greenery in the city. Kabul City Urban Design Framework views urban forests and greenery as integral part of city landscape. In line with KUDF strategic views, there is need for robust investment in reforestation of hilltops and city greenery. The KGD is responsible for urban greenery development and maintenance. The KGD facilitates all activities with the collaboration of 22 districts within the city. Major activities include parks establishment, roadside and median greenery, hills and slopes plantations, maintenance, and nursery stock production. The current efforts have a visible and qualitative effect on aesthetics of neighborhoods, enhanced soil, water and air quality, urban health improvement, wildlife habitat, and possibly climate change mitigation.
Irrigation System Design Specialist will work under the direct supervision of senior irrigation design specialist. Successful candidate will support irrigation and development projects within Kabul city, particularly where the candidate’s prior experience can be applied effectively. Support to these tasks will include.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participating in project supervision, including day to day monitoring and follow-up, field supervision.
- Must have full knowledge of update technology used for irrigation system pf parks, medians and other landscape areas and can design it as well which include but not limited to full irrigation systems and related components including irrigation lines, sprinkler heads, control panels, valves, pumps, etc.
- Participate in the design or modification of new or existing systems
- Coordinate watering schedules with park manager
- Troubleshoot any problems that may arise with system
- Understand and implement computerized irrigation systems including remote monitoring/control systems
- Conducting specific technical tasks, as a designated subject specialist in the field of irrigation & drainage and water resources management
- Able to understand the basic water requirements for flowerbeds, agricultural crops and lawns.
- Monitor the water usage and irrigation to mitigate the risk as per Environmental and Social Safeguards.
- Ensures that contractors comply with the approved drawings and layouts
- Reviews existing practice by contractors and makes recommendation
- Ensures that the contractor provides the labors with the safety equipment at the construction sites.
- Ensures that the contractors comply with their work plans to complete the works within the specified timeframe
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and bi-annual and annual reports
- Should have the ability to have frequent travels to all irrigation projects
- Perform any other duties as required by the department
- Strong computer skills in Auto CAD 2D and 3D irrigation system design software and MS office
Qualification and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Irrigation Engineering, Agricultural Engineering or closely related field.
- Master’s degree with (3) years of relevant experience and Bachelor’s with (5) years of demonstrated experience in Irrigation Engineering, Agricultural Engineering or closely related field.
- At least three (3) years of relevant experience in irrigation design, project management and/or coordination of irrigation project management, agriculture, or related disciplines with an international NGO, Government of Afghanistan, or other Organization in a multi-cultural offices environment is required.
- Experience in project design, results-based management and implementation;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and coordination skills, and a proven ability to work constructively with a variety of stakeholders.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Excellent knowledge of English, Dari and Pashto, both spoken and written skills.