|Date Posted:||May 9, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 23, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About TURQUOISE MOUNTAIN:
Turquoise Mountain is a non-profit, non-governmental organization specializing in urban regeneration, business development, and education in traditional arts and architecture. We seek to provide jobs, skills, and a renewed sense of national pride to Afghan men and women. Since 2006 Turquoise Mountain has cleared 35,000 cubic meters of rubbish from the streets, restored or built 150 historic and community buildings, created a primary school and a clinic, and installed water, electricity and sanitation through the historic traditional craft neighborhood of Murad Khani in the old city of Kabul. It has created the internationally-accredited Institute for Afghan Arts & Architecture, training the next generation of craftsmen and women in woodwork, jewelry and gem cutting, calligraphy and miniature painting, and ceramics. Finally, it has sold over US$ 7,000,000 of Afghan artisan products internationally.
Turquoise Mountain is embarking on a four-year program with the support of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). This program aims to create 5,000 jobs in the carpet and jewelry value-chains in Afghanistan and facilitate the sale of US$20,000,000 worth of Afghan carpet and jewelry products to international markets. The program will build the technical capacity of those active in both value-chains, improve working conditions and ensure environmental standards, raise awareness about production abilities in Afghanistan, improve order fulfilment, and increase exports of higher-margin carpet and jewelry products, thereby increasing income-generating opportunities for thousands of Afghans.
Requires travel to provinces:
Duties & Responsibilities:
Production: Planning and Monitoring
· Be responsible for planning and overseeing the production of jewelry by monitoring the production process and ensuring pieces are delivered on-time, on-budget, and according to order specifications. This includes coordinating with various artisans to evaluate quality throughout the production process and appraising artisan performance.
· Motivate artisans to achieve planned production outputs and encourage them to multitask and work on different types of jewelry. Conduct random quality checks at different stages of the production process. Assist on production when there is a technical issue and ensure daily production targets are met.
· Take corrective action required for anticipated or actual problems and delays. In the Jewellery Hub, undertake machine maintenance, arrange for all supplies, tools and consumables, and ensure that the right tools and equipment are used for different tasks.
· Train jewellers on processes and allocate production or sampling orders as per skill and achievement of artisans. Make sure that artisans understand all details mentioned on the spec sheet. Maintain record of artisan production in terms of quantity and quality.
Technical Capacity Building
· Assess skill development requirements of artisans in terms of training, tools, machinery, workspace and other facilities provided to artisans and recommend trainings and workshops that can help in producing jewellery that meets international standards
· Advise jewellers on raw materials and facilitate technical advancement by bringing in expert consultants and organizing technical training workshops according to need assessment of artisans.
· Give appropriate instructions and feedback to artisans. Educate artisans about safety and work hazards. Train on gold loss, silver loss and mixing of alloys to make jewelry in required purity.
Production Records and Tool Inventory
· Keep record of daily production activities in the Jewelry Hub. Maintain inventory of consumables given to each jeweler and arrange for fulfilling tools shortage and their maintenance related issues.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in jewellery manufacturing.
- Knowledge and experience of making handmade jewellery.
- Strong communication skills and desire to work with other team members.
- Fluent in English or Dari, and a working level of the other is a significant advantage.