|Date Posted:||Jul 16, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 26, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||2 - 4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||6 month(s)|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Salam Afghanistan Media Organization (SAMO) :
Salam Afghanistan Media Organization (SAMO) is the parent organization to Salam Watandar (SW) Radio Kabul (98.9FM), Salam Watandar Radio Network, SAMO Research, Evaluations and Learning (REL) center, SW News Agency (www.swn.af), Professional Media and Communications Training Hub, and SAMO Professional Technical Workshop on Media and ICTs.
Established in 2003, SAMO has been one of the nation’s leading media organizations operating in all provinces of Afghanistan through more than 100 partner stations reaching over 22 million people across the country. The organization has undertaken various multi-media outreach, awareness, and advocacy collaborative partnerships to support the international partners of Afghanistan including UN agencies, international organizations, embassies, private sector and government media needs.
SAMO is a multi-media platform that reaches out to Afghans, nationwide. The organization has a multi-pronged approach – i.e. radio, TV, print, and social media – to generate debates around issues of importance to the people of Afghanistan and stir debates/engagement around them so as to ensure citizens remain informed and make informed decisions on issues and matters which affect them.
The organization aspires to a working environment that values honesty, integrity, fairness, equality (gender included) respect, creativity, and diligence.
Organizational Vision - The SAMO we are building
SAMO will be a funding-diversified, sustainable and independent multi-media platform. Its governance and leadership will function according to international standards of good practice. National and international partners will consider SAMO as a model of institutional and organizational excellence.
Afghans are active citizens, not passive subjects:
· Political and community leaders will listen to and take account of the voice of ordinary people.
· Young people will be better informed, less manipulated by those who seek to exploit them, and increasingly perceive themselves as having the right to express their aspirations.
· Women's rights are promoted to empower and engage them in all spheres of life.
· Farmers will have increased access to information about how to be more successful and profitable.
· Business people will understand their social responsibilities.
Journalists are responsible for the audio/video content of broadcasts via radio, the internet and other mobile platforms. They are involved in the entire process, from generating ideas to managing the audience response after a program. Journalists manage and work with broadcasting assistants, presenters and DJs, engineers and IT staff. They may also be responsible for the business and commercial management of a program.
Journalists also may need to work as reporter whenever it is necessary. Wherever they work, they are part of a digital revolution which is having a profound impact on the way in which radio is produced and accessed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities vary depending on the program and station, and Journalists may sometimes also take on the roles of presenters or reporters and producer, but typical tasks include:
1. Conducting research on social and political issues;
2. Developing content, writing material for scripts, bulletins and links;
3. Sourcing potential contributors and interviewees;
4. Selecting music and jingles appropriate for programs to the audience;
5. Conducting pre-production meetings and presenting and justifying the developed topic, researched material and background details to the programs committee in bi-weekly meetings;
6. Establishing rapport with guests, inviting them to the programs, interviewing them on matters pertinent to the program, editing where necessary and working closely with the Programs Editor where required, and reporting duties;
7. Presenting programs or managing presenters for both pre-recorded and recorded output;
8. Well awareness on the media laws in Afghanistan and ensuring to operate within their boundary;
9. Converting text files, graphics, video and audio files into other formats;
10. Contributing to and making use of an archive of audio resources which can be re-used;
11. Responding to audience feedback involving other departments where necessary;
12. Producing and making use of user-generated content;
Using technology such as Cool Edit Pro, Pro Tools and Adobe Audition, for editing and production purposes;
13. Being able to conduct research on range of issues and sectors, i.e. agriculture, politics, economy, education, employment, healthcare, infrastructure and women & minorities rights
14. Research, design and develop key questions on each theme - agriculture, democracy, economy, education, employment, healthcare, infrastructure and women & minorities rights
15. Edit recorded interviews and extract excerpts on themes identified above to produce final thematic programs;
16. Continuously monitor and evaluate the quality of programming to ensure compliance with the best practices
17. Analyze and collect information through various sources to prepare pertinent editorial reports;
Closely monitor daily events locally, nationally and internationally and prepare brief reports on day to day happenings
18. Responsible to get the updated news/information from reliable sources
19. Ensure accuracy of news/information from reliable sources and accept responsibility for disseminating news/information
20. Write news, feature stories and other assignment in local languages (Dari or Pashto) to meet deadlines.
21. Attend daily meetings and staff meetings to keep abreast of the latest developments of other colleagues
22. Perform other related duties as required;
University Degree in Journalism, Mass Communication, or equivalent work experience;
Familiar with programs/news editing software
Fluency in Pashto, Dari and English