|Date Posted:||Feb 13, 2011|
|Closing Date:||Feb 27, 2011|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||2 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) in Afghanistan is responsible for implementing a number of projects on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the aid donor community. The Afghanistan Operations Centre (AGOC) has been set up as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the Implementing Agency. The functional objective of UNOPS AGOC is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner, so as to achieve the outcomes sought by the project and to assist in the development goals of the Government of Afghanistan. The stated goal is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of Afghanistan. The adopted mission of UNOPS is to exceed the expectations of our stakeholders.
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) in Afghanistan is responsible for implementing a number of projects on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the aid donor community. The Afghanistan Operations Centre (AGOC) has been set up as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects in Afghanistan for which UNOPS has been designated as the Implementing Agency.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Junior Finance Officer works under the overall guidance and supervision of the Procurement/Finance Specialist. The Junior Finance Officer will monitor the specific financial management of the SCAP Project implementation and provide technical advice to senior Management.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies and adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with the provisions of the UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations, the Finance Manual and Finance and Budget Technical Instructions in all financial transactions, recording, reporting, etc.
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation of the SCAP Project
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals on cost-saving and reduction strategies
Ensures timely budget preparation and effective monitoring and control, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration of proposals for planning of financial resources, preparation of reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Coordination of the preparation of the SCAP budget; review of budget submissions, regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation; monitoring of expenditures against budget allotments and reporting on variances
- Coordination with the Procurement and Finance Specialist and AGOC/EMO Financial Specialists to ensure compliance with UNOPS financial rules and regulations, financial policies and procedures and that project budgets and revisions are prepared in accordance with established procedures and budgetary guidelines of the funding agency; project budget re-phasing processed accurately and punctually
- Identification of administrative budgetary requirements; guidance on guidelines for budget preparation, the format to be used in reflecting budget proposals and the procedures for submission to facilitate consolidation at the global level.
- Monitoring of expenditure levels against allotments. Review and processing of request for budget revision as required.
- Status of budgetary allocations monitored on an ongoing basis; networking with clients to strengthen budget management and take corrective actions when required.
- Maintenance of the UNOPS Project Budget formulation system ensuring timely input and processing of data. With the cooperation of the Information Technology group, ensuring relevance of system at all times by updating and proposing change to facilitate financial management of project and enhance financial reporting.
- Discussion of concerns with the Procurement and Finance Specialist and Project Manager when required so that timely corrective actions can be taken.
Ensures proper cash management and treasury functions of the project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in ATLAS to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Efficient local banking arrangements and compliance with local financial and banking regulations
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals, selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlement.
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by the supervisor.
- Acts as cashier for on-site transactions.
- Building project capacity to effect payments using ATLAS or Imprest Accounts.
- Monitoring of the delivery and income of the portfolio
- Analysis of trends and forecasting of income from the project and other sources.
Ensure proper control of project accounts and payments, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals for the internal expendituresâ€™ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ATLAS; payrolls are duly prepared; monthly payment orders (MPOs), travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Control of accounts closure.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Control of the Accounts Receivables for SCAP project and follow up with partners on contributions, maintenance of the General Ledger.
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Ensures knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Accurate and timely financial reports to senior management and donors.
- Contributes to the sound management of finances.
- Contributes to the complete, accurate and timely submission of accounts.
- Contributes to an effective and cooperative relationship with clients and partners on strengthening financial management.
4. Final Product
- Timely and quality financial management reports.
- Unqualified audit reports
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Business, Accounting, Public Administration or Economics required. Masterâ€™s Degree is considered an asset. High School Diploma with additional 2 years relevant experience may be considered in lieu.
b. Work Experience
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in administrative or finance management is essential
- Experience and knowledge of financial/budget accounting and monitoring. Knowledge of project monitoring and management would be an asset.
c. Key Competencies
- Excellent working knowledge of English, both written and verbal. Fluent in Dari/Pashto.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, MS Project), email/internet, ability to operate other financial management (ERP) software/programs. Knowledge of Atlas is considered a strong asset.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Capacity for problem solving and identifying acceptable/applicable solutions; resourceful, proactive, maturity of judgment and behavior, and self motivated.
- Good communication (verbal and written) and strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
- Be able to work in a challenging and demanding environment.
- Be able to work in a multi-cultural environment