|Date Posted:||Aug 14, 2022|
|Closing Date:||Aug 24, 2022|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Medical Laboratory|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade GAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Maybe|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About World Health Organization:
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the technical and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership in global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical and implementation support and monitoring and assessing health trends. In Afghanistan, WHO works to improve the health and well-being of all Afghans by preventing and reducing mortality, morbidity and disability and strengthening health services in close coordination with national and international partners.
Objectives of the program:
The aim of this project is to reduce dependency of Afghanistan on other countries through availability of quality & reliable lab services at national level.
The candidate of this position will be working under PHD of Herat /Technical Head of Regional reference laboratory to support Herat RRL different units/departments for cleaning of the offices, building outside areas including being a guard, when considered him/her as trustable person by the respected PHD.
Purpose of the Post:
This position has functional responsibility for PCR, ELISA and the Microbiology including general lab parts at the regional reference lab of Herat. He/she is also responsible for the development and growth of their Afghan team, maintaining internal and professional partnerships, and assisting with the development and implementation of local and regional quality improvement initiatives within their laboratory and for the greater benefit of all Lab Network in Afghanistan.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
• Be able to run RT PCR tests for HBV, HCV, HIV and COVID-19 and provide bench work services at the regional reference lab of Herat;
• Perform General laboratory services for MDR-TB, HIV, and for other clients of the reference laboratory by using Microlab -300, Medonic M-32 and others;
• Assist and implement a region-wide laboratory trainings program for laboratory technicians (specifically focusing on laboratory diagnosis of TB, Malaria and the screening of blood for HIV and other blood-borne diseases) and harmonizing the program with HSS-GF lab team;
• Keep inventory and stock reports of the relevant department and assist the technical head in providing accurate data for stock and inventory reports, on monthly, quarterly and based on need;
• Adhere to Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) guidelines and CPHL laboratory rules and regulations;
• Work safely and carefully and be aware of bio-safety and bio-security concerns;
• Record all results accurately and ensure all computer-based files are saved and stored in a secure manner;
• Perform all QC/QA assurance procedures as required and keep accurate records of the lab results.
• Take part in lab training for the broadening of scope of work for Bacteriology or General lab section;
• Any other tasks relevant to the regional lab technical affairs requested by the CPHL director /WHO or UNDP team and GF lab project manager.
1) The candidate must be a Bachelor Degree in Medical Laboratory from recognized university.
2) 5 years of related experience.
Essential: Bachelor Degree in Medical Laboratory
Desirable: Master degree in related field.
Essential: 5 years of related experience.
Desirable: Relevant experience in the Medical Lab and UN system.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
1) Excellent communication and report writing skills
2) Good Knowledge of the Afghanistan health system.
3) Willingness to work long hours and weekends and complete the deliverables on time.
1) Fluency in English, Pashto and Dari Language is must.
- Good knowledge of hardware.
Criteria / Procedure
Screening of the candidates;
Long List - The candidates shall be longlisted base on the minimum qualifications and relevant experience to the Vacancy Notice (VN).
Short List - Further shortlist shall be done base on years of relevant experience, higher education and required skills.
WHO may conduct written/presentation and interview or combination of the mentioned mediums to select the most qualified candidate.
WHO is an equal opportunity employer and qualiﬁed women are particularly encouraged to apply and equally qualiﬁed female candidate will be given preference.