|Date Posted:||May 16, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 25, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About The Asia Foundation:
The Asia Foundation (the Foundation) is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, our work across the region addresses five overarching goals—strengthen governance, empower women, expand economic opportunity, increase environmental resilience, and promote regional cooperation. Headquartered in San Francisco, The Asia Foundation works through a network of offices in 18 Asian countries and in Washington, DC. In Afghanistan, the Foundation supports four primary themes: Governance and Law, Women’s Empowerment, Education, and Survey/Research and Knowledge Development.
Funded by the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL), the Foundation’s Legal Aid through Legal Education (LALE) Project supports the provision of legal aid through strengthening legal education in Afghanistan. The project goal is to strengthen legal education and increase access to justice to improve the rule of law in Afghanistan. To that end, the Foundation is launching a national program of developing standard teaching materials, including textbooks and instructor’s manuals, for the law and sharia faculties of public universities in Afghanistan. The Foundation will produce teaching materials for 20 subjects across both law and sharia faculties and develop a model for the development of future teaching materials.
The Foundation seeks two (2) Legal Teaching Materials Managing Consultants to manage the production of teaching materials for 20 legal subjects cumulatively. Each Consultant will be responsible for managing the production of outlines, textbooks, and instructor’s guides for 10 legal subjects each, across both law and sharia faculties of public universities. Each Consultant will be responsible for managing drafting, review, revision, quality control, standardization, and printing to produce the teaching materials for their assigned subjects. Each Legal Teaching Materials Managing Consultant will report to and work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and the Director of Governance and Law Programs.
Requires travel to provinces:
Must have excellent legal research, writing, and editing skills.
• Ability to supervise and manage work of multiple consultants simultaneously.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
• Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Analytical and strategic thinking. Results oriented.
• Ability to work with MoHE, university instructors and administrators, and other relevant stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and multi-cultural environment.
• Deep understanding of the legal system, legal institutions and processes in Afghanistan.
• Sound political judgment and sensitivity and proven experience of engaging with and influencing decision makers in policy arena, particularly legal education policy.
• Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills and proven experience of contributing to strategy development, including monitoring and evaluation.
• Experience of delivering trainings and conducting workshops, seminars and conferences.
• Ability to manage resources, and work well with others.
• Flexible approach to working hours, and excellent Dari and Pashto language skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Legal Teaching Materials Managing Consultant(s) will have the following duties and responsibilities:
• Prepare and develop template and standards for the production of outlines, legal textbooks and instructor guides to be used by consultant subject matter experts in drafting of the materials.
• Oversee the drafting of legal teaching materials for 10 law and sharia subjects including textbook outline, textbook, and instructor guide for each subject; ensure high quality is maintained throughout drafting and production of all materials.
• Manage and coordinate work of 10 consultants (subject matter experts) in drafting teaching materials for one (1) legal subject each; organize their schedules, provide proper instruction, review their work, provide necessary feedback and instruction for all materials.
• Review, edit and finalize all teaching materials produced including outlines, textbooks, and instructor guides.
• Coordinate, edit and finalize the translation of all materials to Dari, Pashto, and English.
• Coordinate with the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) and obtain all necessary approvals for the productions of the teaching materials.
• Coordinate with partner universities on the production of the teaching materials.
• Coordinate with all relevant stakeholders on the production of teaching materials.
• Finalize all materials and develop a plan for the use of teaching materials in partner universities.
• Develop instructor trainings for the use of the teaching materials in law and sharia faculties.
• Establish good working relationships with the university instructors, MoHE staff, and other relevant stakeholders.
• Assist on any other task as required related to legal education, and the project overall.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
The Legal Research Consultant is required to have the following qualifications:
• University degree in law or sharia is required.
• Teaching experience in public or private universities.
• Experience drafting legal teaching materials including legal textbooks and other legal books.
• Minimum of five years of relevant professional experience working with national and international organizations on legal education or legal development issues.
• Experience managing multiple employees or consultants simultaneously.
• Experience working with universities or on academic development projects.
• Deep understanding of legal system and legal education in Afghanistan.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates that do not meet the essential qualifications and experience will not be shortlisted. Kindly do not send random unrelated CV’s. Qualified applicants should submit a copy of their CV, contact details and, no later than May 25, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.