|Date Posted:||Jan 13, 2021|
|Closing Date:||Jan 19, 2021|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||Fresh|
|Contract Duration:||4 month(s)|
The Afghanistan Value Chains – Livestock (AVC-Livestock) is a USAID funded program expected to run through June 2023. AVC-Livestock utilizes a market systems approach to strengthen and facilitate key transactions at either end of the farmer in targeted value chains - the commercial vendors of the goods and services that farmers need to grow higher volumes of quality produce, and the processors and traders who purchase farmers’ harvests. AVC-Livestock is a market-driven, private sector-focused program that aims to sustainably strengthen the dairy, poultry, honey, red meat and fiber value chains throughout Afghanistan resulting in increased incomes, employment and productivity throughout targeted value chains.
Habib Hasam Poultry has been operating since 2002 in poultry industry. The firm’s investment includes a feed mill plant, warehouse, layer control cage poultry sheds, broiler breeder open sheds, hatchery, transportation and distribution facilities. The firm’s layer poultry farm has been designed for 130,000 chicks in six control cage sheds for table eggs production. The company produces 115,000 to 120,000 table eggs with their current layer hens. The firm has a feed mill with 15 MTs feed production capacity per hour. The firm sells their products in east region markets. As per the signed agreement with the project client business Habib Hasam is responsible to establish contract farming with 20-25 lead farmers in the East region. As contract farming is the new practice in Afghanistan, and working with farmers is challengeable, therefore, AVC-Livestock would like to hire three interns to support the Habib Hasam and provide technical assistance for further improvement of the contract farming process.
The overall objective of this assignment is to provide support and building efforts to Habib Hasam on supply chain management system. And promote contract farming opportunities for 20-25 maize farmers in Laghman Province through developing linkages between farmers, DAIL and Habib Hasam Poultry.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop an understanding of the supply chain management system and how they collaborate with the Habib Hasam, AVC-Livestock, and DAILs.
- Work closely with Habib Hassam in the selection of suitable corn producers in the East region.
- Support Habib Hasam for purchasing the quality hybrid corn seed, fertilizer, and other required equipment for corn cultivation.
- Support Habib Hasam for the distribution of the inputs to the selected farmers in the field.
- Support Habib Hasam for making documents of the inputs distributed to the farmers.
- Train the farmers in all aspects of best practices of corn cultivation, irrigation, weeds control, harvesting, and post-harvest management practice.
- A regular visit from field and guild the farmers in the different growing stages of the corn.
- Facilitate the harvesting field days and conduct the corn production cost-benefit analysis of the selected farmers in the field.
- Develop a strong relationship with farmers and Habib Hasam and continually communicate and refine what leads to success.
- Provide bi-weekly updates on their work progress to AVC-Livestock value chain lead and regional director.
- Other duties as assigned by AVC-Livestock technical team.
The supply chain intern will report to the AVC-Livestock regional director, and Habib Hasam feed mill manager.
· Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, agronomy, natural resource management, Viternary or any other relevant field
· Strong communication skills
· Fluent in Pashto and Dari
· Proficiency in written English is preferred.
All data collected during this assignment will become the property of AVC-Livestock and will not be shared with third parties without the express permission of AVC-Livestock.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Laghman
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter, with the position name (Livestock Intern) in the subject line, by email to AVCLivestock@dai.com.
To apply for any AVCL vacancies, please make sure you put the title on the subject of your email, or your application will be disregarded by the system.
Please note that applications received after the closing date and without Subject line will not be given consideration. Only shortlisted candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for test/interview.