|Date Posted:||Jun 29, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 5, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
The Afghanistan Value Chains – Livestock (AVC-Livestock) is a USAID funded program expected to run through June 2023. AVC-Livestock utilizes a market systems approach to strengthen and facilitate key transactions at either end of the farmer in targeted value chains - the commercial vendors of the goods and services that farmers need to grow higher volumes of quality produce, and the processors and traders who purchase farmers’ harvests. AVC-Livestock is a market-driven, private sector-focused program that aims to sustainably strengthen the dairy, poultry, honey, red meat and fiber value chains throughout Afghanistan resulting in increased incomes, employment and productivity throughout targeted value chains.
Habib Hasam Poultry Ltd is located in Jalalabad City, Nangarhar Province. The company has been operating since 2002. The firm produces table eggs, broiler day-old chicks, and poultry feed. The business, plans to launch a new approach of contracted farming in the supply chain of the company to receive feed items including maize, soybean and other crops needed for animal and poultry feed production from the farmers in the eastern provinces. Through this system the business wants to provide credit to crops farmers who produce grains and supply inputs to Habib’s business. Through the credit system, Habib Hassam will provide improved verities of seeds and agriculture tools to the farmers. This will help crops farmers access to quality seeds with high germination power and good yield. It is thought that, farmers will have higher income during the harvest time. On the other hand, the company will get significant amount of locally produced inputs to run the feed mill and supply quality animal and poultry feed to its customers.
Since, the agriculture credit farming is a new method of partnership in the country and especially to Habib Hassam Ltd, the company may need extensive extension service as a back support to its contacted farming and agriculture credit system. Therefore, the company requested AVC-Livestock to support the frim technically and hire interns to work with farmers on behalf of the company to facilitate on farm extension practices with them to avoid any pre- and post-harvest loses.
Purpose and Objectives:
The overall objective of this assignment is to provide technical support to Habib Hasam Ltd on supply chain management system. And promote contracted farming opportunities for 20-25 farmers in Nangarhar, Laghman and Kunar crops farmers through developing linkages between Directorates of Agriculture and Livestock (DAILs) farmers, DAIL and Habib Hasam Poultry.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop an understanding of the supply chain management system and how they collaborate with the Habib Hasam, AVC-Livestock, and DAILs.
- Work closely with Habib Hasam in the selection of suitable corn producers in the East region.
- Support Habib Hasam in purchasing quality hybrid corn seed, fertilizer, and other required equipment for crops cultivation.
- Support Habib Hasam in distribution of inputs to the selected farmers in target provinces.
- Support Habib Hasam for making documents of the inputs distributed to the farmers.
- Train farmers on best practices of corn and soybean cultivation, irrigation, weeds control, harvesting, and post-harvest management practice using participatory extension approach
- Regular visit from the field and guild the farmers in the different growing stages of the corn and soybean.
- Facilitate and organize Farmer Field Days, conduct corn and soybean production cost-benefit analysis of the selected farmers
- Develop strong relationship with farmers and Habib Hasam and continually communicate and refine what leads to success.
- Provide bi-weekly updates of achievements to AVC-Livestock
- Other duties as assigned by AVC-Livestock technical team.
The Livestock Intern will report to the AVC-Livestock value chain lead, regional director and Habib Hasam feed mill manager.
· Bachelor’s degree in agriculture
· At least three years of relevant work experience grain production especially in corn production and management.
· Strong writing, communication and training skills
· Fluent Pashto and Dari.
· Proficiency in written English is required.
Nangarhar, Laghman and Kunar provinces
All data collected during this assignment will become the property of AVC-Livestock and will not be shared with third parties without the express permission of AVC-Livestock.