|Date Posted:||Oct 6, 2022|
|Closing Date:||Oct 20, 2022|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||6|
|Functional Area:||Linguistics,Nursing,Social Science|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||12 month(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
About UN-WFP Afghanistan:
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis. We are committed to promoting diversity and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all our employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of religion or belief, ethnic or social background, gender, gender identity and disability.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
The hunger crisis in Afghanistan is unfolding at a rapidly, with over half the country’s population of 40 million now facing acute food insecurity—the highest number the humanitarian community has ever seen in Afghanistan. Work opportunities are shrinking, with most households now reporting just one day of work per week. This comes on top of the worst drought in years, which is especially concerning for the 85 percent of the population who rely on agriculture for livelihoods.
Preventing and mitigating a drastic increase in hunger and malnutrition is the aim of WFP in Afghanistan which can only be achieved through the scaled up and sustained complementary food security and nutrition interventions, combined with a scale-up of resilience interventions to safeguard gains. WFP has embarked on a significant month on month scale-up of its crisis response and resilience program's across the country, ensuring that the programme is delivered at the right scale and time, targeted to the right areas. WFP is also actively following up on evolving trends to pre-empt hotspots, while guaranteeing quality and maximum impact of the programme through the monitoring of these hotspots to be able to support continued donor advocacy.
The incumbent is expected to work in WFP/UNHCR medical facilities run by Iqarus International to provide translation to patient visiting the clinic mainly WFP/UNHCR staff dependents.
The role may entail working long hours and off hours depending on the medical needs of the UN staff and their dependents and role holder is expected to be highly flexible and able to adjust to meet the needs on day-to-day basis.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. To be responsible for performing translation related activities, including, translation of drafts and documents from Dari or Pashtu, into English and vice versa
2. Inform Iqarus medical staff about important cultural norms to take into account while attending to patients
3. Provide interpretation during staff training and meeting
4. Should be able to perform translations face to face as well and via telephone when required.
5. Translate literally what is being said and do not express personal opinions and feeling.
6. Should be able to translate sensitive topic while maintaining neutrality and non-judgemental attitude. 7. Should always be respectful to patient and Iqarus staff while participating in meeting or discussion.
8. Adapt as much as possible to any circumstances, using appropriate language registry, diplomacy, courteous manners
9. Should ensure strict confidentiality of information gained in the course of the work.
- Bachelors degree in linguistics, nursing or paramedics, social sciences.
- Essential working experience of at least 5 years in the medical field and translation activities related to medical cases
- Field experience with UN or other non-Governmental organization.
- Has demonstrated a sound understanding of WFP administrative operating standards and awareness of international humanitarian development issues through day to day work.
- Has provided ad-hoc guidance to patients.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Essential proven computer literacy including MS word, excel, PowerPoint and internet
- Fluency in English, Dari and Pashtun both oral and written