|Date Posted:||Jul 15, 2021|
|Closing Date:||Jul 24, 2021|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||24|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 - 5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||12 month(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Project Based|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Afghan Midwives Association:
Afghan Midwives Association
The AMA is the technical body for midwifery education, professional development and policies that enable every midwife in Afghanistan so midwives can practice the highest level of care for the mothers and new born of the country. The AMA is a member of key national and international forums. For example AMA is an active member of the Human Resource Development Task Force, National Reproductive Health Task Force, The Maternal New born Health committee, Afghan Women Network and Secretariat for National Nursing and Midwifery Steering Committee. Similarly, at regional and international level AMA is an active member of the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM), White Ribbon Alliance (WRA) for the safe motherhood and women empowerment; also member of the Asia Midwifery Regional Resource Centre.
Responsible for the delivery of high quality midwifery care through modelling, education, observation, crisis intervention, problem solving, clear communication and team work in the hospital. Monitor and maintain compliance with midwifery standards and MLMCC& MLUs procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Midwives provide advice, care and support for women and their partners and families before, during and after childbirth. They help women make their own decisions about the care and services they access. They care for new-born children, providing health education and parenting support for the first 28 days. Midwives are personally responsible for the health of both mother and child and only refer to obstetricians if there is any complication.
- Adhere to the values, policies and procedures of Afghan Midwives Association and MoPH.
- Work to improve positive work environment among colleagues.
- Provide respectfully maternity care to patient.
- Report to work promptly, for day shift and night shift.
- Participate in morning report :
- End-of-shift midwives must give a full report to on-coming midwives on the patients and events that occurred during the shift.
- Night shift midwife should stay till end of the morning report.
- Stay on-duty until the relieving shift arrives and has been fully updated.
- Keep patient’s medical record thoroughly and accurately updated and filed neatly.
- Keep the patient board up to date and posted with relevant information
- Admit new patients, diagnose labour and completely fill out labour admission forms, and order appropriate lab screens based on MLMCC&MLUs guideline.
- Identifying high risk pregnancies and emergency cases and making resuscitation interventions and immediately refer to the linked hospitals.
- Supervise and assisting mothers in labour, monitoring the condition of the foetus and using knowledge of labour support and pain management skills according to advance midwifery care protocol and procedure.
- Assess continuously labour progress, which includes, taking vitals, pelvic exams foetal heart rate monitoring and charting on the partograph.
- Identify the Major complication and refer to tertiary hospital.
- Conduct normal vaginal deliveries, which include starting IVs, delivering the baby using sterile technique, managing third stage with routine IM oxytocin, perform episiotomy avoid routine episiotomy, suturing lacerations and charting on the Partograph and Labour and Delivery Summary.
- Keep clear, detailed records of deliveries in the Birth Register Book.
- Disinfect, scrub, wash, pack and sterilize instruments in the Delivery Set
- Manage with on call and supervisor complicated vaginal deliveries including, vacuum extraction, shoulder dystocia during the second stage of the labour
- Provide routine new-born care which includes: bulb suctioning, drying, assigning APGAR scores, weighing, measuring length and head circumference, monitoring vital signs, administering Vitamin K i.m and Tetracycline eye ointment, placing ID band and clothing the infant
- Provide routine postpartum care including monitoring of vital signs of the mother and baby, monitoring input and output of the mother, initiating and assisting with breastfeeding, charting on the Postpartum Chart
- Refer babies for the Vaccination in the Clinic before being discharged
- Conduct health education, including father member when possible, on breastfeeding, warning signs, new-born care and family planning during their postpartum stay.
- Counsel and educate women, families and the community in relevant areas of health including hygiene, family planning, nutrition, warning signs, preparation for childbirth and parenting.
- Counsel the mothers to IYCF (infant and young child feeding) key messages.
- Check stock of supplies and medicines every shift, record needed items and order from stock or refer to Midwife Supervisor.
- Follow Infection Prevention policies and procedures in all aspects of the job
- Share knowledge, skills and expertise with all maternity staff.
- Encouraging participation of family members in the birth to support the mother and enhance both mother/baby bonding and family relationships.
- Give regular feedback to the midwife supervisor and report directly any issue or incident
- Join the trainings facilitated by MLMCC project / hospital directorate
- Assess the feasibility of pregnant women referral to the related centre/facilities.
- Ensure the patient privacy and confidentiality are well respected
- Identify cases presenting psycho-social problems and refer to the dedicated psychosocial consular
- Check and carry out the rapid diagnostic tests ( syphilis, haemoglobin, protein curia, etc)
- Perform any other task given by line manager
Skills and Behaviours: AMA Values in Practice
- Commitment to AMA Values: Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts AMA values
- Cross-cultural Awareness: Demonstrates an open attitude
- Behavioural Flexibility: Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Stress Management: Manages own stress
- Results and Quality Orientation: Performs his/her work
- Service Orientation: Responds empathetically to clients and understands their concerns/needs
- Planning and Organizing: She organizes her work
- Teamwork and Cooperation: Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
· Ensure that you work to the best of your ability and demonstrate high levels of commitment to AMA Afghanistan in order to ensure the objectives of your role.
· Ensure the effective and efficient use of AMA resources in order to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace
Other duties as directed
1. Registered Midwife, Bachelor degree is preferred
2. Five year experience in similar position desirable
3. Good communication skill both in writing and oral in Dari/Pashtu essential
4. Communication skill in English oral and written desirable
5. Two positive references from previous employers or educators.
6. Ability to communicate clearly and work well with others in a team environment
7. Strong commitment to midwifery profession and Midwifery Association