|Date Posted:||Sep 11, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Sep 25, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Monitoring and Evaluation,Agriculture,Social Science ,Management|
|Salary Range:||1947 - 2335 USD monthlyUSD|
|Years of Experience:||7 - 10 Years|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations:
Through its Country Offices, or FAO Representations, FAO assists governments to develop policies, Programmes and projects to address hunger, food security and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, livestock, animal health, and irrigation and forestry sectors as well as emergency preparedness and response. The activities of the FAO Representation include design and implementation of country-tailored field Programmes, liaison with local donor representatives and active public awareness raising and outreach activities related to the mandate of FAO.
FAO assistance in Afghanistan achieves its objectives through capacity development and direct project implementation in four specific areas of FAO’s technical expertise:
- Better governance through improved capacity for policy planning, land reform, decentralization, and management of common natural resources;
- Fostering expansion of irrigation and field water management;
- Intensive agriculture for surplus commercialization, value chains development, and job creation;
- Supporting vulnerable farmers for improved food and nutrition security, resilience, and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters and climate change.
The position is in FAO Representation (Resilience Unit) in Kabul– Afghanistan.
Through its Country Offices, or FAO Representations, FAO assists governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address hunger, food security and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, livestock, animal health, and irrigation and forestry sectors as well as emergency preparedness and response to conflict and natural affected events.
This position is established under the FAO Resilience Unit in Afghanistan, and the duty station is Kabul, with frequent travels to project locations in the provinces covered by the respective offices.
Reporting Lines / Supervision Received/Exercised:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Afghanistan, with direct supervision of Resilience & Emergency Coordinator, in consultation with the relevant units in FAO Representation in Afghanistan, the incumbent will be responsible for the timely and effective monitoring of FAO’s Emergency and Resilience projects in Afghanistan. The incumbent will lead the establishment and the roll-out of a robust Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) system for FAO’s Emergency Livelihood Response Plan (ELRP), in order to generate timely information for management’s decision making. Specific duties and responsibilities will include:
Key Performance Indicator:
- M&E system in line with the FAO country planning framework is defined and developed;
- Beneficiary feedback mechanisms are developed and monitored;
- M&E work plans for FAO’s emergency & resilience projects is/are elaborated and followed by FAO staff and implementing partners;
- Systematic monitoring and evaluation reports of FAO emergency and Resilience projects and programs are elaborated;
- M&E field visits are carried out periodically;
- Programme review and follow up actions on projects are proposed according to M&E work plan;
- Impact reports of FAO emergency and resilience projects are elaborated.
- M&E system in line with FAO country planning framework is defined and developed.
- Beneficiary feedback mechanism is developed and monitored.
- M&E work plans for FAO’s Emergency and Resilience projects are elaborated and respected by FAO staff and implementing partners.
- Systematic Monitoring and evaluation reports of FAOs emergency and resilience projects and programs are elaborated.
- M&E field visits are carried out periodically.
- Program review, follow up actions of the FAO projects and programs are proposed according to M&E work plan and findings.
- Impact reports of FAP projects and programs are elaborated.
Provinces to travel:
Work Experience and Additional Skills:
- At least 7 (Seven) years of professional experience in results based management and monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian and/or development projects that combines emergency response, disaster risk reduction, project formulation and implementation with UN, international NGOs and Government of Afghanistan;
- Knowledge and experience in designing M&E systems and conducting evaluations;
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Ability to use computer software. Familiarity with the office computer software used by the Organization especially in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word and Outlook);
- Previous work experience with UN is an advantage
- Excellent writing and analytical skill in drafting concept notes and reports;
- Strong interpersonal and communication, reporting and presentation skills, analysis and interpretation of data, ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of emergency projects and programmes, including the use of technologies for data collection (e.g. kobo)
- Experience in data collection, analysis and reporting related to food security and livelihoods
- Understanding of the purpose and functional of technical Programmes, operational guidelines and Programme/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations and/or FAO
- Experience with the United Nations is preferred;
- Working experience with ministries, national institutions and the rural sector in Afghanistan;
- Ability to effectively coordinate a large, multi-stakeholder project with results-based management;
- Ability to deal with political, technical, and people management challenges, administer budgets and work effectively with all staff and with groups involved in the project;
- Experience organizing stakeholder meetings or workshops with national participants;
- Experience in multi stakeholder analysis, and in mobilizing or creating awareness about resilience projects;
- Good knowledge of the national/local languages (Dari and Pashto) of the duty station;
Duties & Responsibilities:
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Establish M&E system for FAO Afghanistan’s emergency and resilience programme in line with the FAO Country Strategic Framework (CPF) and the Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP);
- Analyze information, data, statistics, and/or trends of the programme and overall humanitarian situation for the preparation of relevant plans, strategies, policies
- Develop monitoring, survey and assessment tools and templates for data collection of baseline and disaster impact data, in coordination with the technical colleagues
- Ensure timely collection, analysis and availability of data for baseline, milestones and target indicators to monitor the progress of FAO emergency and resilience programme;
- Coordinate with regional offices to ensure effective implementation of M&E activities at the provincial and district levels;
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support the implementation of the M&E plans;
- Strengthen the country office’s beneficiary feedback mechanism;
- Support Emergency and Resilience Unit on preparation of Progress Reports, Terminal Reports and any other technical report for resilience projects
- Support Emergency and Resilience Unit on preparation of Letters of Agreement (LOAs) with Service Providers (SPs), follow up on SPs payments
- Support Emergency and Resilience Unit on Procurement of life saving items and keep track of all procurement related issues
- Work closely with the operations and communications officer for effective and timely reporting on project implementation, on a periodical or ad-hoc basis, in line with the requirements of the resource partners.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- Bachelor’s Degree (Masters preferable) in social sciences, economics, agriculture, management or relevant sectors (food security, agriculture, and livelihood) or closely related field.