|Date Posted:||May 9, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 22, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade BAF|
|Years of Experience:||7 Years|
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is one of the sectoral ministries of the Afghan government. Following almost three decades of turmoil, war, droughts and a dramatic increase in opium production MAIL’s mandate is to restore Afghanistan’s licit agricultural economy by assisting women and men farmers to increase production and productivity; to manage and protect Afghanistan’s natural resource base for sustainable growth; to improve rural agricultural infrastructure and irrigation systems; and to expand agricultural markets and develop human resource capacity. The goal is to reduce poverty throughout Afghanistan and assure food security for all. Thus the new direction for agriculture growth is anchored in increased productivity focusing on agricultural products that have a comparative advantage through various value chain approaches.
MAIL, under its mandate, works on economic development, inclusive growth and providing employment opportunities. MAIL structures its activities, according to National Agriculture Development Framework (NADF), in four pillars: Natural Resource Management, Production and Productivity, Economic Regeneration and Change Management. All the projects are aligned into these four pillars.
Pillar one, Natural Resource Management, is the pillar that deals with natural resources of the country such as water, forests, rangelands, protected areas and etc. MAIL is committed to protect and utilize its all-natural resources. There have been many projects implemented for this purpose. Climate Change and its impact are also part of the Natural Resource Management Pillar. MAIL is strongly committed to keep the environment clean and work on the projects that helps mitigate the adverse effects of climate change. Strengthening the resilience of rural livelihood options for Afghan community project is one of those efforts.
This project will respond to the climate change impacts and climate variability adversely impacting the human development and water resources of Afghanistan. It will also implement activities to ensure that Afghanistan can withstand future climate change impacts through i) building awareness and planning capacity for climate change adaptation; ii) demonstrating adaptation activities at the community level; iii) building capacity; and iv) promoting the development of pertinent policy.
The project objective is to strengthen the resilience of rural livelihood options for Afghan communities in Panjshir, Balkh, Uruzgan and Herat Provinces to manage climate change-induced disaster risks. The three complementary results that this project will deliver include:
· Climate change risk and variability integrated into local planning and budgeting processes
· Rural income and livelihood opportunities for vulnerable communities enhanced and diversified
· Productive irrigation infrastructure rehabilitated and improved
Afghanistan is a developing country, most of population relaying on natural resources, such as fresh water, forests, biodiversity, minerals and etc. However still Afghanistan is not an industrial country, but a number of environmental issues have been identified such as, water pollution, air pollution, extension of biodiversity, loss of habitats, soil degradation, overgrazing, desertification vulnerability toward climate change and etc.
National Environment Protection Agency of Afghanistan (NEPA) is the key responsible entity to response those challenges through feasible and applicable policies, regulations, and plans. NEPA was established in 2005 according to article 15th of Afghanistan’s constitution, with clear mandate of establishing legislations and policies to promote environmental protection and conservation.
NEPA under its mandate, create laws, regulation, policies, procedure and guidelines for environmental issues, and take clear measures for combating against environmental challenges as climate change, land degradation, depletion of ozone layer and etc.
This position will respond to the reviewing, amending, improvement and make visible all policies and procedures. It will also implement activities to ensure that NEPA policies and plans be based on (specific measurable, attainable, relevant and time bond).
This position objective is to strengthen, creating, amending and improvement of policies regarding environmental issues.
The consultant to develop pollution prevention policy document responsible for reviewing all polices of NEPA, amend and improve them based on other countries experiences, research for creating new policies based on needs and research. She/he also has to work in close coordination with the technical divisions of NEPA and stakeholders to provide technical comments for creating new polices both amending and improving of them. She/he will report to the NEPA senior management.
The Consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Technical Deputy Director General in close coordination with technical division of NEPA. The Consultant will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Provinces to travel:
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
· Excellent English written communication skills.
· Ability to speak, read and write technical and conversational English;
· Skill in negotiating effectively in sensitive situations;
· Skill in achieving results through persuading, influencing and working with others;
· Skill in facilitating meetings effectively and efficiently and to resolve conflicts as they arise;
· Good team player, self-starter, has ability to work under minimum supervision and maintain good relationships.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Develop the work plan for this assignment.
· Review the pollution prevention policy draft and prepare technical comments.
· Check and amend all the relevant policies, plans and procedure.
· Research and survey on pollution prevention different options and its feasibility in country.
· Improve the pollution prevention policy and do case studies for new policy in the country.
· Review the current situation of environmental pollution in country; detect the source of pollutions and existing control and prevention measures.
· Organize consultation meetings with different governmental and non-governmental entities to have their comments and reflect their comments in policies.
· Conducting final validation workshop for this policy.
· Prepare an action plan for the implementation of this policy.
· Perform any other duties as required by the NEPA senior management.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
The candidate must have bachelor degree with 7 years of experience or a master degree in administration and policy, management, law or environment from a recognized university with minimum experience of 5 years. Preference would be given to the candidates having extensive experience in similar areas