|Date Posted:||Dec 26, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jan 9, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Data Management,Database Developing,Computer Science,Translation|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 - 5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations:
Through its Country Offices, or FAO Representations, FAO assists governments to develop policies, Programmes and projects to address hunger, food security and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, livestock, animal health, and irrigation and forestry sectors as well as emergency preparedness and response. The activities of the FAO Representation include design and implementation of country-tailored field Programmes, liaison with local donor representatives and active public awareness raising and outreach activities related to the mandate of FAO.
FAO assistance in Afghanistan achieves its objectives through capacity development and direct project implementation in four specific areas of FAO’s technical expertise:
- Better governance through improved capacity for policy planning, land reform, decentralization, and management of common natural resources;
- Fostering expansion of irrigation and field water management;
- Intensive agriculture for surplus commercialization, value chains development, and job creation;
- Supporting vulnerable farmers for improved food and nutrition security, resilience, and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters and climate change.
This position is established under the GCP/AFG/089/USA Project in Afghanistan, and the duty station is Herat, with frequent travels to project locations in the provinces covered by the respective project.
The project goal is to promote inclusive growth and job creation in the agricultural sector by strengthening the capabilities of producers and private enterprises to effectively link Afghan farmers to domestic and international markets. The basic premise is that agricultural-led economic growth is the key to improving food security, rural poverty reduction and agribusiness development. This will be achieved through a value chain (VC) approach. The project will invest in improving productivity and facilitation of the development of wheat, high value crops and livestock value chains as well as enhancing the capacity of P/DAIL (Provincial / District Agriculture, irrigation and Livestock Department) in sustainable value chain
The focus of the project is on developing the demand for local agribusiness, enterprises and input and service providers, and enhancing their capacity so that the VC is improved, more efficient, more profitable, and hence sustainable. Using a VC approach the programme has been designed to overcome constraints to business performance and corresponding sales/turnover of agribusinesses. This will also lessen the government’s dependency on foreign aid through local private sector growth and investments.
Involvement of the private sector will include developing and supporting market access for both domestic and export markets and will build on past successes of USAID and FAO/PAIL in the region. Interventions will leverage public and private sector investments already made in the country’s western provinces.
Purpose of this vacancy announcement:
FAO is looking for qualified national staff fill the position of National Data Entry Clerk. This position will support the work of the compiling a comprehensive database of agribusiness in western region. The post is located in Herat with travel to provinces.
- Regular contact with company focal points and supervisors established.
- Agro-Enterprise data for online directory collected and verified.
- Collected data and information translated to English or Dari.
- Final update of the online directory done in consultation with ICT Assistant.
- Data for all project potential beneficiaries database is compiled and entered into database.
Reporting Lines / Supervision Received/Exercised:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Afghanistan, direct supervision of the National Project Manager and National M&E Specialist, the incumbent will be responsible for performing below task and responsibilities;
Duties & Responsibilities:
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support developing, and translation from English to Dari and vice versa, forms and questionnaires to be used for data collection;
- Support developing data record and management system;
- Enter the information into the data record and management system, contact the field data collector, or the respondent (beneficiary), for missing information, and complete the data as per the data and record management system;
- Visiting/Contacting agribusinesses to gather information, documents and images from Agribusiness companies;
- Creating reports in accurate data spreadsheets, perform minor data analysis such as grouping, tabulation or with simple statistics and present to the project management;
- Entering and updating project related information into relevant databases, and in online directory prepared by the project;
- Informing agribusinesses and beneficiaries regarding errors, missing information, updates required in the directory, and correcting the directory accordingly;
- Filing and storing hard copies of data in an organized manner to optimize retrieval;
- Any other similar duties, assigned by the NPM and M&E Specialist.
- University degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, English Literature, Agriculture, Agribusiness or closely related fields.
Work Experience and Additional Skills:
- At least 3 (three) years of experience in administrative and clerical activities;
- Strong computer skills in MS Office applications;
- Previous work experience with UN is an advantage;
- Familiarity with the country’s value chain system, including all dimensions and sectors, and have readily access to relevant Ministries/agencies;
- Economics, planning and/or data management background would be an additional advantage;
- Familiarity with the use of information technology – specifically web-based software is required.
- Candidates with knowledge and experience in the field of value chain will be preferred.
- Working experience with ministries, national institutions and the rural sector in Afghanistan;
- Good knowledge of the national/local languages (Dari and Pashto) of the duty station;