|Date Posted:||Sep 3, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Sep 18, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture,Monitoring and Evaluation,Engineering,Social Science ,Economic Growth|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations:
Through its Country Offices, or FAO Representations, FAO assists governments to develop policies, Programmes and projects to address hunger, food security and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, livestock, animal health, and irrigation and forestry sectors as well as emergency preparedness and response. The activities of the FAO Representation include design and implementation of country-tailored field Programmes, liaison with local donor representatives and active public awareness raising and outreach activities related to the mandate of FAO.
FAO assistance in Afghanistan achieves its objectives through capacity development and direct project implementation in four specific areas of FAO’s technical expertise:
- Better governance through improved capacity for policy planning, land reform, decentralization, and management of common natural resources;
- Fostering expansion of irrigation and field water management;
- Intensive agriculture for surplus commercialization, value chains development, and job creation;
- Supporting vulnerable farmers for improved food and nutrition security, resilience, and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters and climate change.
The position is in FAO project in Herat – Afghanistan with frequent travels to other project site/locations in the country.
The project has envisaged improving the economic growth in the Western Region of Afghanistan through community irrigation and livelihood enhancement activities. It is expected to result in the sustainable development of water resources in Harirud-Murghab River Basin and livelihood enhancement of the marginalized farmers in the area.
The project will support demand management-based efforts for soil and water conservation (e.g. increase of irrigation efficiency) through effective on-farm management practices. Capacity building and institutional strengthening of the farmers’ institutions and government entities is also an area of focus.
The proposed project will be implemented with the broad and integrated approach of water resources management for sustainable water resources development in tune with the master plan for the Harirud-Murghab River Basin Development.
Another area needing attention is the enhancement of livelihood of the residents of the area. This can be achieved through a combination of programmes like rainwater harvesting/water conservation targeting the upland areas, micro-irrigation (sprinkler and drip system) for orchard farming and expansion of grazing land for raising the livestock
FAO is looking for qualified national staff to support the work of the Japan funded project “Project for Improving Economic Growth in the Western Region of Afghanistan through Community Irrigation and Livelihood Enhancement”. The post is located in Herat province, Afghanistan.
FAO holds the ultimate responsibility for the implementation of the project, the delivery of the planned outputs and the achievement of the expected outcomes. The project will be managed and implemented by FAO.
Impact of Work:
Successful implementation of the project as outlined in the project document and in line with FAO rules, regulation and procedure and as per demand of the Recipient Government and Resource Partners.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables:
- Inception Report laid out the work plan of the consultants/NSHR to deliver the assignment
- Prepare and implement livelihood plans;
- Conduct livelihood assessment;
- Formation of 30 livelihood groups;
- Develop training package and conduct training program for targeted stakeholders;
- Assess and identify livelihood activities in potential community;
- Conduct focus group discussion for enhanced livelihood options;
- Regular reporting of progress of project activities in the site produced.
- End of assignment report capturing process and lessons of the assignment
Reporting Lines / Supervision Received/Exercised:
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative/Country Director and direct supervision of the International Project Technical Adviser (PTA) and National Project Manager (Senior Engineer), in close cooperation with the counterpart MAIL authorities/staff, other project staff, the incumbent will be responsible for implementation of the relevant objectives/activities of the “Project for Improving Economic Growth in the Western Region of Afghanistan through Community Irrigation and Livelihood Enhancement”. He/she will have the following responsibilities:
Provinces to travel:
Work Experience and Additional Skills:
- At least 5 (five) years of practical working experience in agriculture, livelihood, natural resource management and rural development project at sub-national and local level;
- Proven experience in conducting assessment and analysis of agriculture and livelihood related options/activities in the ground;
- Strong knowledge and understanding sub-national institutional contexts in Afghanistan is an advantage;
- Experience in working with local government or NGOs on agriculture/livelihood related activities in Afghanistan is consider an asset;
- Previous work experience with UN is an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and communication, reporting and presentation skills, analysis and interpretation of data, ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Experience in data collection, analysis and reporting related to livelihoods;
- Understanding of the purpose and functional of technical Programmes, operational guidelines and Programme/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations and/or FAO
- Experience with the United Nations or other organizations preferred;
- Working experience with ministries, national institutions and the rural sector in Afghanistan;
- Ability to effectively coordinate a large, multi-stakeholder project with results-based management;
- Ability to deal with political, technical, and people management challenges, administer budgets and work effectively with all staff and with groups involved in the project;
- Experience organizing stakeholder meetings or workshops with national participants;
- Experience in multi stakeholder analysis, and in mobilizing or creating awareness about projects;
- Good knowledge of the national/local languages (Dari and Pashto) of the duty station;
Duties & Responsibilities:
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide an overall partnership and guidance to the livelihood activities through best practices that consistent to community development under the components 1 and 3 of the project GCP/AFG/097/JPN;
- Develop and lead livelihood assessment in the project area to identify potential communities for livelihood interventions in accordance to the project priorities;
- Access and compiling socio-economic data, conduct necessary assessments to assess and prioritize the existence livelihood situation;
- Identify and analysis of all livelihood development activities in the project area and prioritize marginalized community those are severely affected and need to be improved and expanded;
- Review livelihoods needs and existence capacity in the project and develop development plans to enhance the livelihood context;
- Formation of 30 different interest groups in the project targeted area, comprising of men and women and identify activities that reported by community and verified by project stakeholders;
- Develop and implement 30 livelihood plans for community development in the project area to improved livelihood of marginalized community;
- Conduct focus group discussion with consultation of project stakeholder's engagement process and identify gaps and strengthen participatory engagement on project related activities;
- Develop and implement livelihood-basis training plans to cover the entire targeted beneficiaries to strengthen their capacity in coping mechanism during livelihood options;
- Ensure capacity development of livelihood staff, PAIL relevant staff, group’s members and beneficiaries are improved in respective to an enhanced livelihood in rural area;
- Provide technical support to community development specialist, CTA and Project Manager in terms of participatory plans and identify potential livelihood options and management of related interventions;
- Assist and support the Project Manager and the Project technical adviser in undertake related field work and submission of need-basis reports;
- Prepare minutes of meeting and play a constructive role among the project team in leading the livelihood interventions in affected communities;
- Perform other tasks given by PTA and National Project Manager.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Herat
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferable) in a relevant area such as Natural Resource Management, Agricultural Development, Socio-Economic, Water Resources Management, Environmental Sciences, Development Studies, and/or closely related fields.