|Date Posted:||Jul 2, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 28, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Education/ Training|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
About UNESCO Kabul:
Since 2008, United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Office in Kabul has been supporting the Deputy Ministry of Education for Literacy (DMoEL) in improving access to literacy as well as building capacity within DMoEL. In October 2019, the Government of Japan signed the agreement of a USD 7.2 million-project entitled Improvement of the quality and the promotion of the Accelerated Non-formal Education Program (ANEP) with UNESCO Kabul Office. The objective of the project is to provide technical and financial support to DMoEL for strengthening the status and effectiveness of Non-Formal Education (NFE) within the framework of accelerated learning approach delivered through different education modalities. The project intends to support DMoEL in improving equitable access to youth and adult basic education in terms of providing literacy courses for 28,000 learners (aged 15 and above) who are left behind from formal education due to different reasons. It will also focus on piloting the accelerated learning centers and professionalization of Adult Literacy Schools throughout Afghanistan. The project will underpin ongoing efforts by Afghanistan to meet its Afghanistan National Peace and Development Framework (ANPDF), National Education Strategic Plan III (NESP III), National Mobilization Strategy and Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) commitments, particularly in the areas of sustainable peace, economic growth and poverty reduction. It will also build on the significant achievements that have been realized in the literacy sub-sector over the last 10 years, particularly through UNESCO’s Enhancement of Literacy in Afghanistan (ELA) program.
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Office in Kabul and Representative of UNESCO to Afghanistan and direct supervision of the Head of Education Unit and in close collaboration with the NFE and Adult Literacy Program Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating the implementation of all project activities in close collaboration with the Ministry of Education’s DMoEL and other partners. The incumbent will have the overall responsibility of effective implementation of all project activities as planned and on schedule:
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Program management
• Coordination and the effective implementation of all project activities in close collaboration with the Ministry of Education’s DMoEL and other partners and liaise with the government counterparts and development partners in program related activities.
• Work closely with Field Operations and Finance Manager on the development and operationalization of the operational plan to ensure effective implementation of project activities at the field level.
• Oversee the effective field coordination and operations including logistical and financial management of delivery of literacy and accelerated education classes at the field level, in close cooperation with Field Operations and Finance Manager.
• Monitor advancements in field of expertise and provide advice to peers, management and colleagues on the project.
2. Program planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
• Ensure the development of detailed work plans for each of the streams of work, including regularly reviewing and refining project activities and adjusting financial plans as necessary, in close collaboration with national and international counterparts and team members.
• Monitor the project work plans and budget revisions as necessary, in line with the overall project priorities.
• In close collaboration with the NFE and Adult Literacy Program Manager, supervise all administrative aspects of the project, including recruitment of staff, contract and budget management, including reviewing and monitoring of contracts set up for project implementation according to UNESCO standards.
• Contribute to the design and implementation of a risk matrix for the project, and update the risk matrix for the successful delivery of the project.
• Prepare narrative reports to the donor, and for internal use, particularly with a view to making strategic decisions and adding technical value and input to project activities.
3. Program implementation
• Provide technical and program management coordination to all project activities by developing activity concept notes, proposals, drafting terms of reference/requests for proposals for procurement of services and coordinating other related donor activities.
• Liaise with the main government counterparts at the Ministry of Education (MoE) and the DMoEL to ensure successful delivery of the project activities in a high-quality and timely manner.
• Coordinate the organization of seminars, national conferences, workshops, consultation meetings and other activities for diverse target groups according to the approved project work plans.
• Contribute to the development, roll-out and management of the Implementation Partners Agreements (IPAs) with the government entities for proper implementation of on-budget activities.
• Liaise with the program supported National Technical Assistance (NTA) in the government to attend to their needs and guide them for proper program implementation.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
Planning and organizing
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
Clear understanding of UNESCO’s Mission
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
• Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in education, social sciences, development studies or related areas.
• At least 5 years of relevant work experience, with at least 2 years acquired with an international organization in the field of operation and finance. Previous experience in an educational organization is an added value.
• A deep understanding of development work, particularly of capacity development in education.
• Work experience with the UN and/or MoE in Afghanistan is an added advantage.
• Good understanding of development partners’ expectations and trends in education sector.
• Excellent project management skills, including results-based planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
• Strong sensitivity and adaptability in post conflict countries and diversity (culture, gender, religion, race and nationality).
• Ability to interact with a wide range of high–level partners.
• Demonstrated ability to plan strategically and to translate strategy into priorities and action.
• Good knowledge of office softwares (MS Office Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, etc.).
Fluency in English and Dari/Pashto is required. Another UN language in an added advantage.