|Date Posted:||Nov 7, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Dec 31, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||1 Year|
About Samuel Hall:
Samuel Hall is a social enterprise that conducts research in countries affected by issues of migration and displacement. Our mandate is to produce research that delivers a contribution to knowledge with an impact on policies, programmes and people.
We provide practicable insights to challenging issues in the developing world by providing academic-standard research through primary data collection in areas where researchers do not commonly go. Samuel Hall works with governments, donors, multilateral organisations and INGOs, as well public and private sector entities. We have worked with more than sixty-five organisations worldwide since 2009 through our offices in Afghanistan, Kenya and Somalia covering Asia and Africa.
We generate knowledge in the form of primary data and the insights and analysis we provide. We fill in data gaps with the contextual and scientific standards required. We look for pro-active, creative individuals who can identify opportunities to make their mark and identify solutions to problems. We believe in hiring people who can show their ability to be both strong leaders and reliable followers, who have skills that our team currently lacks and who join us to add value from the very start.
Samuel Hall (www.samuelhall.org) is seeking an experienced and professional Researcher to join its team for a full-time position based in our Kabul office.
Researchers have the opportunity to apply their skills in our Kabul office. They are a key component of our research projects and work in teams on desk reviews, developing tools, conducting and managing fieldwork, analysis and report writing.
Requires travel to provinces:
· Keen attention to detail
· Ability to adapt and work well within a team
· Ability to cope well under pressure, work occasionally irregular hours and meet tight deadlines
Duties & Responsibilities:
Samuel Hall is seeking an experienced and professional Researcher to join its team for a full-time position based in our Kabul office. The responsibilities of the Researcher are:
Objective 1 – Research
· Assume all responsibilities of the project cycle from A to Z, with the assistance, support and overall guidance of the Project Manager
· Design research methodologies and tools
· Conduct secondary research, literature reviews and key informant interviews
· Conduct fieldwork in Kabul and at times in other provinces, depending on security and prior decision
· Manage fieldwork logistics
· Analyse data, transcribe notes, write progress reports, field reports and sections of draft reports and present at client meetings
· Occasionally translate research tools such as questionnaires, focus group discussion guidelines, interview guidelines, training documents, presentations, authorization letters, field interviews, field notes, executive summaries, reports and briefings
· Cover various topics and themes, including public and private sector research, humanitarian and development evaluations and studies on education, migration, marginalized communities, gender, labour, market assessments, protection, rule of law, etc.
· Provide the above services in both written and spoken English and Dari; knowledge of Pashto is an asset
Objective 2 – Problem Solving and Management
· Review past translations and documents from other team members and provide feedback in order to improve the quality of the work when needed
· Identify gaps and propose solutions regarding tool design, data collection and analysis
· Supervise qualitative data collection efforts when needed and manage several enumerators
· Devise potential tests and training materials for national applicants
· Keep an updated database of relevant national contacts
· Keep a strong and professional relationship with the Project Manager throughout the project cycle
· Be proactive and propose innovative ideas for the improvement of research cycle and office procedures related to research tasks
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Applicants will need to possess and be able to demonstrate the following qualifications and transferable skills:
· Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent)
· Complete written and oral fluency in English and Dari; Pashto is an asset
· Exceptional English writing skills
· Proven experience working in research in Afghanistan and on at least one of our areas of