|Date Posted:||Apr 27, 2017|
|Closing Date:||May 12, 2017|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableNone|
|Years of Experience:||4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About BBC Media Action:
BBC Media Action BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to: strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity, and produce creative media outputs which inform and engage audiences around key development issues. Background: BBC Media Action has been working in Afghanistan for over 20 years, delivering media and communications projects on governance and health themes. We are in the start-up phase of a three-year project funded by Global Affairs Canada, ‘Her Voice, Her Rights’. The project will, through media, support women and girls to claim their rights and take part in public discourse. It involves capacity-strengthening of provincial radio stations and civil society organisations and will be delivered in partnership with a national media and a women’s empowerment organisation.
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Networking Manager will develop and maintain the networks between organisations and individual practitioners participating in the project. One of these will be the Women’s Radio Network, a group of programme-makers from across the country which will meet regularly, exchange ideas and content and support each other. Additionally the post holder will work with a partner organisation in the project to establish and run regular meetings between CSOs and programme-makers, and listener groups. She or he will work with the partner organisations to ensure the sustainability of activities and relationships beyond the lifetime of the project.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Work closely with a partner organisation to establish a network of media and civil society organisations to ensure that issues of relevance to Afghan women are addressed in media, and support a partner organisation to set up and run regular listener groups
2. Establish good working relationships with partners by ensuring regular contact and communication with the relevant people.
3. Disseminate the objectives of the projects different interventions to partners, acting as a point of contact for any queries.
4. Establish the Women’s Radio Network – a group of women radio professionals taking part in the project - and facilitate face-to-face and remote interaction for the network.
5. Work with partners to set up regular CSO/Media exchanges and listener groups in each area where the project is working.
6. Travel regularly to all provinces of Afghanistan in which the project is working, subject to security advice from the Logistics and Security Manager (arrangements for travel may be discussed at interview).
7. Arrange meetings and workshops as outlined in the project work plan.
8. Understand the importance of sustainability and promote its concept among the partners through dissemination, mobilization and active participation of partners in the project i.
9. Coordinate with partner organisations and resolve or escalate problems if they arise.
10. Contribute to internal and donor reports.
11. Any other tasks assigned by the Senior Project Manager.
1. Creative Thinking: able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
2. Managing relationships and team work: able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively. Values individual's differences and demonstrates a commitment to knowledge sharing and informal learning, for the benefit of the team.
3. Influencing and persuading. Influencing and persuading - able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
4. Planning and Organisation: Able to think ahead to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others; planning of activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
5. Resilience: Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
6. Decision Making: Able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
Skills, experience and qualifications:
1. Proven work experience as networks/relationships or project manager.
2. Experience establishing and maintaining working relationships with people in other organisations.
3. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
4. Ability to plan, multi-task and manage time effectively.
5. Experience planning and running networking and training events.
6. Strong report writing and record keeping ability.
7. Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure and to deadlines.
8. Good computer and database skills, including use of Microsoft Office.
9. Fluency in Dari, Pashto and English.
Desirable skills and experience:
1. Experience working in the media sector, ideally with radio stations
2. Previous experience of working in similar role for an international organisation.
3. A graduate or post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline such as Communications, Public Relations or Marketing.