|Date Posted:||May 3, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jul 3, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About FHI360/ NHTAP Project:
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Operations Director for an anticipated multiyear USAID National Health Technical Assistance Program in Afghanistan. The activity aims to improve health outcomes through improved utilization of high-impact, sustainable, accessible, and quality health and nutrition services across Afghanistan. The program will enhance the Afghan Ministry of Public Health’s capacity to support the health systems and policies required to provide high-quality services across Afghanistan and ultimately improve health outcomes among Afghans nationally.
The Operations Director will lead all operational activities of the Program and will ensure project implementation at the national and sub national levels. S/he will assume the responsibilities of the Chief of Party in his/her absence. S/he will coordinate among USAID and key stakeholders and other implementing partners and will interact with various government institutions and representatives, particularly at the national and local levels. The position will be based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Requires travel to provinces:
- Experience working with project counterparts and key stakeholders, particularly senior officials in government, the private sector, and civil society
- Experience in operations management, particularly for projects of similar size and scope.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in diverse teams and manage high-volume work flow.
- Prior experience in working in Afghanistan and/or knowledge of the Afghan health sector.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Proven experience with USAID regulations and guidelines and in ensuring that projects maintain the highest administrative, financial, and operational standards for compliance and audits.
- Fluent in Dari and Pashto. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set up and adjust as needed all field-based administrative, procurement, HR and other operational systems and processes, and organize appropriate training and orientation on policies and systems for all field staff at the time of hire and refresher training through life of project.
- Oversee all administrative and logistical staff in the main, regional, and embedded staff in partner offices.
- Work closely with regional office administrative (including financial, contracts, HR, etc.), program, and operational teams to ensure timely and quality reporting, and lead project teams in office/program set-up and close-out processes.
- Assure that the project is in compliance with USAID and FHI 360 regulations and procedures.
- Provide direction and guidance to local, consortium partner, and sub-contractor staff on compliance issues, procurement standards/requirements, and other administrative, HR and logistical questions.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the project operational procedures, adapting global and regional resources and tools as needed for the Afghan context.
- Oversee a team of administrative, logistics, contracts and security staff for the project and ensure clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained among the team members.
- Work with the Chief of Party to provide management, leadership, oversight, and direction to ensure project financial and contracts transparency and compliance; ability to implement field activities; and an enabling environment for new hires and staff to work effectively and efficiently with government counterparts.
- Ensure that program functions are aligned with the Afghan government’s technical priorities and U.S. government regulations.
- Work closely with the other Director-level positions, Chief of Party, and regional/HQ support staff; serve as acting Chief of Party in the Chief of Party’s absence.
- In collaboration with the Technical Director and M&E Director; collaboratively develop and implement key management systems that will support project planning, reporting, and performance management.
- Ensure that the project meets stated goals and reporting requirements; identify challenges, obstacles, and difficulties affecting project implementation; develop strategies to solve these problems; and work with the chief of party and USAID as needed to implement these strategies.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- Advanced (Masters or higher) degree in public health, international development, business administration, social sciences, or a related area preferred.
- Seven or more years of progressively increasing responsible supervisory work experience that involved direct leadership of professional and support staff, oversight and evaluation of staff performance and deliverables, and contract/grant management. Work experience in fragile or conflict settings preferred.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Interested candidates can apply through FHI 360 career at https://www.fhi360.org/careers or send the resume (max. of 3 pages) to the below email: