|Date Posted:||Jul 15, 2021|
|Closing Date:||Jul 25, 2021|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||2 months|
About Afghan Journalists Safety Committee (AJSC) :
Afghan Journalists Safety Committee (AJSC) is an independent, nonprofit organization that supports press freedom in Afghanistan. We work towards the advancement of journalist safety and rights so that they can report in a safe and fearless environment. AJSC is based in Kabul and maintains a presence in every province of Afghanistan. AJSC was formed based on the recommendation of Kabul Conference on Freedom of Expression, which was organized in March 2009 by International Media Support (IMS). AJSC has a board of advisors composed of well-known media workers and civil society activists. AJSC’s executive section has official representatives in eight regions of the country and an unofficial focal point in the remaining 26 provinces. This has enabled AJSC to establish representation throughout the country and provide media workers with necessary help when needed.
Operations Manager is the direct supervisor of the implementation of all programs, projects and performance of the staff of the organization. He is responsible to the President and committees formed by the board of directors upon need. The incumbent works in close collaboration with the President and reports to him about his performance of the activities. In the absence of the President, he assumes authorities and responsibilities of the President and takes action about major issues of the organization in consultation with the President.
The purpose of this role is to lead and oversee the implementation of the organization’s activities and to provide leadership and direction to the staff. He/she will assist the President in ensuring all activities of the organization go smoothly and in compliance with the strategic goal and policies of the organization. He will also ensure all policies; rules and procedures of the organization are respected in day-to-day performance of the activities. The Operations Manager position is a senior management rank within the organization who directly reports to the President. The scope of authority for the Operations Manager encompasses all staff in accordance with the organizational chart. The incumbent’s responsibilities, falls into Administrative and Technical lines of duty within the organization.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Technical Line of Duty
• Develop yearly plans of action at the start of each fiscal year for programs of the organization
• Execute and delegate plans of action and duties to all line managers
• Ensure program activities are implemented in accordance with the plans of action
• Review, assess and provide feedback to staff on quarterly basis
• Oversee the implementation of the organization’s ME&L yearly plan
• Review and oversee the implementation of the yearly ME&L plan and provide feedback and support to M&E unit
• Maintain proactivity in forecasting any changes in the activities and develop contingency plans
• Develop specific project based action plans in cooperation with the Project Managers
• Oversee all activities that are related to programs and projects, sets an effective agenda and ensure performance goals are met
• Represent the organization to the public, key stakeholders, donor agencies, and partners.
• Handle programmatic activities with the donors and ensure donor satisfaction based on project deliverables
• Provides guidance, as requested by the Executive Director, for program activities including outreach, volunteer coordination and partnerships development, as well as marketing, media relations, public relations and issues management activities.
• Liaise between different partner organizations on project progress
• Develop case files for emergency support cases and find financial support
• Develop proposals for grants in consultation with the Executive Director
• Review, finalize and submit yearly project progress reports to donors
• Develop Risk Assessments, Timelines, Logical Frameworks for yearly project activities and submit to donors
Administrative Line of Duty
• Oversee the duties and tasks of Admin/Finance Unit
• Develop monthly expenses sheet in accordance
• Develop project and program budget plans
• Review and check monthly expenditures of the organization and make sure it aligns with the approved budget
• Approve cost appropriations and estimations for purchases
• Ensure all financial matters strictly adhere to organizational policies, donor requirements, and government rules and regulations
• Assist Admin/Finance department to with capacity building efforts
• Ensure an effective, inspiring and participatory working environment for all staff
• Serves as a mentor, coach and guide to staff.
• Helps with the recruitment process for the organization
• Helps the Executive Director with the development of organization policies, procedures, codes of conduct and other necessary guidelines
• Proposes and creates other systems for smooth performance of the organization staff such as reporting system and so on.
• Other duties as requested by the President
• Ensures major activities and achievements of the organization is communicated to the President.
• Helps with the creation of information sharing systems so that major issues of the organization is communicated to him immediately
The applicant must demonstrate the following qualifications
• Excellent communication skills in Dari, Pashto and English
• At least 5 years of experience in managerial positions
• Experience in project managing for non-profit organizations
• Excellent knowledge of Monitoring and oversight
• Excellent management skills
• Excellent writing skills in English
• Knowledge of developing documents
• Strong independent work ethic
• Initiative and results-oriented mindset
• Attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to thrive in fast-faced work environment
• Willingness and ability to learn