|Date Posted:||Jan 23, 2020|
|Reference:||HEDP / MoHE / IOC-66|
|Closing Date:||Feb 6, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade EAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About HEDP / MoHE:
Afghan policy makers perceive higher education as a vital engine of growth and development. The higher education system produces a pool of high level human resources, including policy makers, administrators, managers, entrepreneurs, engineers, medical personnel, highly skilled technicians, as well as qualified teachers and academics, that are essential for economic development. The availability of such a pool of well-educated human resources will be of central importance for the overall future development of the country. Recognizing this, the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank (WB) have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Higher Education Operation that will succeed the previous Strengthening Higher Education Project (SHEP). The new Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) will support the overall Government’s own effort to expand and strengthen its higher education sector.
The proposed project contains two components: (1) A program component that finances strategic initiatives to develop the higher education sector. The strategic initiatives are (a) increasing participation in universities in priority degree programs for national economic development, (b) modernizing and enhancing the quality and relevance of teaching and learning; (c) expanding the professional qualifications and skills of academic and technical staff; (d) strengthening governance, quality assurance and accreditation; and (e) stimulating development orientated research. And (2) a program operations and technical support component that would support project coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, research activities, human resource development for academic managers and administrative and technical staff, policy studies, beneficiary satisfaction surveys, communications and policy dialogues. The Director of the Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) will coordinate and facilitate the implementation of HEDP in close collaboration with its relevant departments.
OPERATIONS AND MONITORING SUPPORT TEAM
Support under OMST will cover coordination, technical assistance (TA), monitoring and evaluation, research and policy studies, and communication. The technical assistance and capacity building activities of this component will assist the MoHE to implement the development initiatives of the NHESP-II. Policy studies could include tracer studies of graduates to analyze their job search and labor market experience, as well as beneficiary satisfaction surveys of staff and students of institutions and programs supported by HEDP. Resources for communication would enable higher education authorities to disseminate development initiatives to political authorities, policy makers, academics, students, and the general public. The team would help MoHE to fine tune policy reforms, such as piloting and evaluating innovative approaches to promote female enrolment in priority programs. Component 2 of the Project will also finance the incremental operating costs of an Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the MoHE.
The procurement assistant will provide technical support in all procurement issues to the HEDP and World Bank-funded projects within MoHE. He/She will be based in the Main Office Kabul and will work under the supervision of the Project Director (PD), together with procurement specialist and procurement officer for component I & II.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. The Procurement Assistant will assist HEDP Procurement Unit in all the procurement functions (assigned to him from time to time) by following procurement guidelines and procedures of The World Bank Guideline and Afghanistan Procurement Law.
2. Preparing shopping documents and assisting in the preparation of Bidding Documents (under NCB procedures) for Goods and Works (as per Standard Bidding documents and Guidelines of World Bank and Afghanistan Procurement Law) including their issue/dispatch and coordination for providing required clarifications in close coordination with/guidance of the procurement specialist and procurement officer.
3. Ensure that Order Requests are completed properly and are filled accordingly.
4. Update an Order Follow Up table under the supervision of the line manager
5. Maintain a perfect ethic when purchasing and collecting quotations.
6. Support Procurement Specialist and officer in procurement activities.
7. Ensure that an organized filing system is in place, which should include records of work done and procurement records.
8. Preparation of Invitation for Bid (IFB) and arranging their publication/notification to prospective bidders.
9. Assisting in Preparation/Updating of Procurement Plan as and when required.
10. Support with procurement documentation in case of audit.
11. Ensure information flow with relevant departments (Procurement, Admin & Finance, IT and Planning) and Sr. Universities Operation Manager.
12. Taking and circulating minutes from team meetings.
13. Any other procurement related duties assigned by HEDP Director.
Reporting line: The Procurement Assistant reports to the Procurement Officer and Specialist
1. At least bachelor in relevant field or any other degree equal to bachelor from University duly recognized by Govt. of Afghanistan.
2. The position required 3 years’ relevant experience.
3. Introductory knowledge of public procurement procedures and World Bank guide line.
4. Good Working knowledge of English Language to comfortably work with Standard procurement documents (SBDs) of Afghanistan procurement law and World Bank.
Ability to speak, read and write excellent English, produce project reports in English for regular and continuous presentations and computer literate
Ability to interact with senior academics and administrative staff in the universities
Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds
Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines
Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members
Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations