|Date Posted:||Jul 14, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jul 27, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Accounting/Finance ,Management|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About UNESCO Kabul:
UNESCO is the specialized agency of the United Nations with a mandate in education, science, culture, communication and access to information. It is one of the largest players in culture and cultural heritage in Afghanistan and supports the government in its mandate to preserve the country’s heritage and promote nation-building.
Within this overall framework, UNESCO is currently implementing the National Program for Culture and Creative Economy (NPCE), a 10-year program aimed at strengthening national identity and social cohesion through culture and art. One of the key current projects within this National Program is Culture and Sports for Social Cohesion and Sustainable Reintegration Afghan Returnees and IDPs (Hamdeli). The project will be implemented in Nangarhar and Herat focusing on youth in IDP communities in both provinces with the overall objective of contributing to improvement of citizens’ engagement, social integration and social cohesion.
UNESCO is looking for a committed Project Assistant who will assist the National Officer and the Associate Project Officer to undertake all necessary administrative tasks required by the project activities including implementation and monitoring in Herat/Nangarhar.
Social and Human Sciences
Type of contract:
Based on the organization’s salary scale
Duration of the contract:
1 year, 3 months of probationary period (with possibility of extension)
Planning and organizing
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
- Advanced communication skills;
- Strong ability to manage priorities and flexibility in finding alternative options when necessary;
- Excellent project and time management skills;
- Excellent financial knowledge;
- Problem solving and managing processes with efficiency and accuracy, as well as excellent
- interpersonal skills;
- Computer and other IT skills;
- Excellent independent working skills with a desire for life-long learning.
- Good command of English, both written and spoken. Fluency (written and spoken) in Pashto and Dari.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the overall authority of the Director of the Kabul Office and Head of Culture unit and direct supervision of the National Project Officer, the Project Assistant will take the following responsibilities:
- Undertake all administrative tasks related to the implementation and monitoring of activities of the project in close cooperation with the Project’s team and the Kabul Administrative Unit.
- Assist the National Officer and Associate Project Officer in the preparation and monitoring of contracts, including initiating and following up transactions in UNESCO’s Corporate Applications (DUO), verify invoices against contract terms, prepare and follow up payments, and prepare contract amendments.
- Establish, maintain and update Unit’s filing systems (paper and electronic), databases, and other information systems and reference and retrieval systems according to UNESCO’s rules.
- Assist in the organization of meetings and missions, by making travel/mission arrangements for the project staff and invited participants and ensure the preparation of the relevant files.
- Support formatting and managing official documents: correspondence, list of participants, meetings’ agenda, etc.
- Support administrative management of the periodic reports;
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation visits to project locations as requiered;
- Conduct necessary meetings in Kabul with the Project’s Team at UNESCO Kabul offices or in project locations when needed;
- Coordinate outreach to local organizations to gather proposals;
- Support local organizations in understanding UNESCO procedures for proposal submission and reporting;
- Monitor ongoing small grants funded by the project in coordination with the Local Project Coordinators;
- Draft Budgets in Excel and develop narrative reports in English;
- Conduct translation from English to Dari/Pashto and Vice-versa;
- Preform any other tasks assigned by the National Officer or the Associate Project Officer.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- University degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in finance, project management, business administration or any other field.
- At least three years of professional work experience in administration and finance and community engagement or five years if not in possession of a University degree.
- Previous working experience in the UN organizations will be an asset.