|Date Posted:||Feb 10, 2011|
|Closing Date:||Feb 24, 2011|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||Fresh|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||false|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
National Project Associate for Drug Demand Reduction Section of The United Nations Office On Drugs and Crime UNODC Kabul Afghanistan
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities:
The project is under the overall supervision of UNODC Country office for Afghanistan and the technical guidance of the Global HIV Unit in Vienna (HAU). The National Project Associate will be based at UNODC Country Office in Kabul. Under the direct supervision of the HIV National Project Officer and in close collaboration with the Drug Demand Reduction Unit in Kabul, the HIV National Project Associate will undertake the following tasks:
1. Undertake all administrative matters relating to the organisation of meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences, including securing and arranging meeting venues, arranging participantsâ€™ travel, and other administrative arrangements.
2. Assist the national project officer in the timely preparation of relevant papers and documents for meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences, and in the finalization of related reports.
3. Undertake administrative action related to the procurement of equipment and services including preparation of purchase orders, contracts for consultants, related payment requests, and monitoring and follow-up on such requests.
4. Maintain a record of actual expenditures and assist the national project officer in carrying out financial controls of the project including monitoring of expenditures against budget allocations, and in the preparation of financial reports.
5. Assist the National Project Officer in the preparation of budget revisions in consultation with the Drug Demand Reduction Unit.
6. Draft and finalise correspondence, reports and documents and ensuring correctness of style and compliance with UN procedures and standards.
7. Organise both incoming and outgoing correspondence, including the establishment of a log/registry system and filing.
8. Manage correspondence for priority action, notification of deadlines and acting on routine matters.
9. Arrange and maintain calendar of appointments and preparing travel plans for missions;
10. Perform such other tasks as may be assigned by the national project manager.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of concepts and approaches relevant to project management with particular relation to UNODC Country Office for Afghanistan mandate and Programme. Good research, analytical and problem-solving skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of issues/problems; ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Takes responsibility for incorporating project objectives, ensuring the participation of project team members/supervisors and other support structures in all areas of work; ability to analyse project requirements and assist in drafting memos and reports in support of existing projects or for developing new ones.
Planning and Organizing: Proven ability to establish priorities and to plan, organize, coordinate and monitor own work plan and provide advice and guidance to others.
Creativity: Ability to actively seek to improve programmes/services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs.
Communication: Excellent and effective communication (verbal and written) skills, including ability to assist in preparing reports and conduct presentations with the use of common software applications by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely conveying maximum necessary information, making and defending recommendations; diplomacy and tact; ability to convey difficult issues and positions to senior officials.
Teamwork: Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
ï‚§ High school graduate, Diploma/Certificate in Management, Business Administration, or other related disciplines. A University degree in the relevant field is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
ï‚§ At least 5 years of relevant experience with an international NGO, Government of Afghanistan, foreign Government, international-contractor or agency, or UN Organization in a multi-cultural office environment. A Bachelor degree with at least 2 years of relevant experience would also compensate.
ï‚§ Working experience as Project Assistant/Associate and familiarity with United Nations (incl. UNDP) administrative and financial rules and procedures will be preferred.
ï‚§ Excellent organisation skills, ability to work independently, accurately and meticulously and to deliver efficient quality outputs.
ï‚§ Ability to manage large volumes of work under time pressure is essential.
ï‚§ Excellent computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office.
ï‚§ Good drafting skill is essential.
ï‚§ Good knowledge of English (working language), Dari and Pashto.