|Date Posted:||Mar 17, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Mar 29, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
The Site Engineer will be responsible for Survey, Design, Estimation, Proposal and implementation of construction projects. Specifically he/she will be responsible for construction of necessary watershed irrigation structure – mapping intervention sites, implementation of irrigation structure, progress monitoring and reporting. Furthermore he/she will conduct the site survey, technical survey, design and implementation of any type of low cost soil and watershed conservation measure in close coordination with watershed Coordinator.
Requires travel to provinces:
a. Proficiency in computer software MS Office etc.
b. Reporting writing skills
c. Ability to deal with difficult, often challenging work situations.
d. Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
e. Competent to work with significant levels of autonomy and able to meet tight deadlines.
f. A results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities in personal workload,
g. Creative and innovative in conceptual and analytical thinking
h. Sensitivity to gender issues.
i. Fluent in Dari, Pashto and English (written and oral).
j. Personal integrity, sense of humour, intuitive and self-motivation
k. Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses, active listener
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Technical Survey, Cost estimation, Design, implementation of all irrigation structure.
- Develop through stakeholders’ consultative process criteria for selecting watershed area for rehabilitation, community work plans and monitoring mechanisms
- Organize/ facilitate participatory process through community mobilization and arrive at consensual decisions regarding selection of watershed rehabilitation.
- Conflict Resolution of likely disagreements which may emerge because of miscommunication or conflicting interests of interest groups, and timely address them.
- Document and disseminates decisions to relevant individuals and organizations in timely manner.
- Provide regular technical advice to the watershed user to protect and maintain the constructed watershed masonry structure.
- Work in a team to develop/ update guidelines for establishing watershed management committee.
- Regularly monitor watershed masonry structures, collect data, document, case studies update and report achievements.
- Actually conduct the feasibility/ technical/ site surveys, prepare the bill of quantities, technical designs etc.
- Ensuring that the budgeted costs for goods, works, and services are reasonable (reflect market rates) and that all costs have been accounted for. Before finalizing sub projects, facilitating preparation of a realistic operations, maintenance and cost recovery plan.
- Ensuring adequate technical oversight, including assessing the impact of engineering interventions on habitats, is provided in site selection, survey and feasibility of the proposed sub projects/construction activities before finalization of the proposals.
- Providing technical assistance to skilled labour, and community people.
- Monitoring from each stage of subproject during its implementation period. This includes support and oversight for the procurement and financial issues.
- Ensuring that the implementation schedule, the quality of the procured materials in the site and other details of the subprojects.
- Ensuring timely completion and proper functioning of all Projects/construction activities.
- Deal with community people to encourage them for better implementation of sub project/construction activities, and preparation of sub project O&M plans for project sustainability.
- Liaise with NRM specialist, Social Organizers and NRM Assistants, District NRM Specialist, Senior Livelihood and livestock officers in project implementation.
- Regular travel to district and project coverage area, to ensure all planned activities are on track.
- Capacity building, of skill labour and community people trough on job trainings, technical advice and practical instruction.
- Handling paperwork and keeping administrative records.
- Preparation of weekly monthly and quarterly reports.
- Check projects progress against daily work plan.
- Undertake any other duties as and when required by the line manager and/or overview manager.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Badakhshan, Samangan
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.