|Date Posted:||Jul 13, 2021|
|Closing Date:||Jul 24, 2021|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About World Health Organization:
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the technical and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership in global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical and implementation support and monitoring and assessing health trends. In Afghanistan, WHO works to improve the health and well-being of all Afghans by preventing and reducing mortality, morbidity and disability and strengthening health services in close coordination with national and international partners.
Purpose of the Post:
In the context of WHO Health Emergencies Programme/WHE and concurrent COVID-19 pandemic, the Project management officer will contribute to developing country proposals for WHE Programme, implementation and monitoring of relevant projects. The incumbent will provide technical guidance to national counterparts and coordinate closely to successfully implement the projects.
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective (Overview of the Programme):
The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Program is to help countries, and to coordinate international action, when needed, in order to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and other public health emergencies.
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment):
The Project Management Officer will work under direct supervision of the Epidemiologist IHP/CPI and overall guidance of WHO Health Emergency (WHE) Team Leader.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
• Draft and follow up technical and financial project proposals for Health Emergency Programme of WHO
• Facilitate the implementation of WHO Health Emergency projects and plans in coordination with MoPH and other relevant partners at national and sub-national levels
• Supervise project staff and provide on the job training to ensure quality performance
• Monitor implementation of the projects through MoPH and implementing NGOs
• Conduct training need assessments, prepare and implement capacity building plan
• Conduct field visits to provinces for monitoring the project implementation
• Communicate technical issues with the donors, MoPH and partners
• Represent WHO in the relevant technical forums
• Prepare detailed technical and progress reports for different projects
• Prepare Request for proposals/RFP and Request for Quotation/RFQ when required
• Other related tasks as assigned by supervisor
1) Producing results
2) Fostering Integration and Teamwork
3) Communicating in a credible and effective way
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Good technical skills in the design and implementation of Public Health projects
- Good report writing skills
- Good communication skill
Essential: First level university degree is required in medicine/MD
Desirable: Postgraduate degree in public health or Health Management.
Essential: At least 5 years of experience in public health project management
Desirable: Working experience with WHO/ UN or international nongovernmental organization
Languages: Very good knowledge of English and local languages.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other data analyses tool
Screening of the candidates;
Long List - The candidates shall be longlisted base on the minimum qualifications and relevant experience to the Vacancy Notice (VN).
Short List - Further shortlist shall be done based on years of relevant experience, higher education and required skills.
WHO may conduct written/presentation and interview or combination of the mentioned mediums to select the most qualified candidate
WHO is an equal opportunity employer and qualiﬁed women are particularly encouraged to apply and equally qualiﬁed female candidate will be given preference.