|Date Posted:||May 14, 2011|
|Closing Date:||May 26, 2011|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About General Directorate of Programs and Design:
The Independent Administration Reform and Civil Service Commission (IARCSC) was established in 1382 to manage and lead the government’s efforts to reform and improve public administration in Afghanistan so as to meet the development needs of the country. Capacity Building for Results Facility “CBR” is an Afghan led reform and capacity building program, funded through Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF) under the Afghan National Budget. CBR program is managed by the Ministry of Finance and IARCSC and is supervised by a Steering Committee which is composed from the Minister of Finance and the Chairman of IARCSC. The CBR aims to assist the government in improving the capacity and performance of select line ministries in carrying out their mandates and delivering services to the Afghan people. To help reduce the reliance on externally financed staff, CBR supports the creation of a specialized and highly qualified cadre of civil servants, with the capacity to manage critical government reforms, and ensure that critical services are sustained. Specific capacity and institution building programs will be implemented with systematic monitoring of and reporting on results. All line ministries can participate in CBR, while the level of support is based on results.
The Project Management Specialist will provide organizational, training and mentoring services for the development or formulation of pilot project proposals, identification of fund sourcing, and management of projects proposed to the members of Planning and Policy Unit of Herat Provincial Governor Office. He/She will be responsible for managing the pilot at the provincial level as well as tracking status of the pilot.
Provinces to travel:
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Prepare a rapid assessment of the specific needs of relevant counter part in the area of Project Development and Management at the provincial department level.
2. Assess the specific areas of weaknesses of the members of Planning and Policy Unit in the pilot provincial department against the five (5) stages and components of the Project Development and Management Life Cycle;
3. Work with the Planning and Policy Department (PPD) of relevant counter part to prepare the resource support of IARCSC and donor agencies in staffing, support assets, capital expenses and operating and maintenance expenses at pilot provincial department.
4. Organize and provide relevant training based on need assessment to members of Planning and Policy Unit of pilot provincial department in the different stages of project development and management life cycle.
5. Coach/Mentor the members of pilot provincial department on all stages of the life cycle of project development and management.
6. Participate in various coordination platform/meetings at different levels and, if needed, represent GDPDMâ€™s and PPUâ€™s viewpoints in these platforms
1. Implementation of the action plan
2. Policies and assistance strategy framework is in place
3. Increment in the number of projects
4. Reports on the results of the projects
5. Analysis and research documents are in place
6. Financial Management System of development funds in place
The Project Management Specialist shall report to (Director Project Development and TA Coordinator).
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
1. Minimum of bachelor degree in related fields (i.e., economics, public or business administration)
2. Minimum of four (4) years of work experience in project development and/or management work in small to medium development projects
3. Minimum of two (2) years of work experience in training and development (May be concurrent with experience in project development and management)
4. Minimum of two (2) years of experience liaising and communicating with a variety of stakeholders including governments, donors, and non-governmental organizations (May be concurrent with other experiences)
5. Work experience in a foreign-funded project in Afghanistan will be an advantage.
6. Fluency in written and spoken Dari or Pashto, and English
7. High level of proficiency in the use of MS Office packages
8. Strong self-management competencies and stability in highly a stressful country environment.
9. Excellent command of written and spoken English, national and official languages of the country.
10. Computer skills, MS office packages, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Notice of revision
These terms of reference may be revised subject to operational needs.