|Date Posted:||Mar 22, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Apr 2, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyUSD|
|Years of Experience:||10 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
1. Familiarize himself/herself with the overall activities of DCA, and in particular with the project Accelerating Sustainable Agriculture Program, funded by USAID/Chemonics.
2. In collaboration with the CPD, shared responsibility for the set-up and implementation of the ASAP countrywide project.
3. In collaboration with the CPD, responsible for the day-to-day management of the ASAP project, the personnel policy with regard to local personnel, and the administrative and financial management of the different projects.
4. In collaboration with the CPD and the Senior Management Team of DCA-VET in Afghanistan, responsible for the timely preparation of the required financial information and performance indicators for submission to ASAP.
5. In collaboration with the CPD, responsible for the professional and organisational management of the Afghan counterpart staff of about 150 people in total.
6. In consultation with the CPD, he must make and maintain the necessary contacts with Afghan central, provincial and local government institutions, relevant organisations of the United Nations, other international agencies and companies, and NGOs (non-governmental organisations) that may contribute to the success of the ASAP project.
7. In consultation with the CPD take care of the legal position and (official) regulations of private clinical veterinary services system and the (para)professionals who work in that system, including the roles of private sector animal health workers in the public sector animal health work, through interaction with the government.
8. To provide input and support on extension in livestock husbandry and continuing education initiatives involving VFU staff that support the expansion and strengthening of VFU activities and the growth and development of livestock value chains.
9. To facilitate in providing the necessary tools and techniques to VFU owners and/ or VFU cooperatives to improve their sustainability.
10. To harmonize implementation policies already in place for all NGOs currently working or wishing to work in the animal health sector in Afghanistan.
11. To supervise/monitor the training and extension field activities and providing solutions for improvement where indicated.
12. If the Project Manager believes that he/she must enter into obligations in connection with the tasks set out above that exceed the objectives of the Foundation or the project or that involve fundamental changes in the performance of the aforesaid tasks, or if he/she believes it is desirable to expand or limit the objectives of the Programme, he/she should discuss this with the CPD and should obtain permission of the Executive Director of the Foundation before deciding to do so.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Project Manager ASAP will be in charge of supervising and monitoring the ASAP project, in close collaboration with the Country Programme Director in Kabul and with Afghan counterpart staff.
Academic training or advanced applied qualifications in Agricultural Economics, and Livestock Production or Epidemiology. Good managerial qualifications are essential, as are demonstrated effective interpersonal skills. At least 5 years experience in development work, preferably in the Muslim world, is appreciated. Fluency in English, both written and verbal, and computer skills are required.