|Date Posted:||Sep 29, 2018|
|Closing Date:||Oct 16, 2018|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableNone|
|Years of Experience:||2 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Probation Period:||12 months|
Provinces to travel:
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
Planning and organizing
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
Integrity, including respecting institutional rules and procedures;
Experience working with specialized IT architectural programs, such as AutoCAD, GIS, Photoshop, etc., and other similar technical software;
Strong ability to manage priorities and flexibility in finding alternative options when necessary;
Problem solving and managing processes with efficiency and accuracy, as well as excellent interpersonal skills:
Good command of English, both written and spoken. Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto is a requirement.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Background and Context
UNESCO is the specialized agency of the United Nations with a mandate in education, science, culture, communication and access to information. It is one of the largest players in culture and cultural heritage in Afghanistan and supports the government in its endeavour to preserve the country’s heritage and promote nation-building.
Within this overall framework, UNESCO is currently undertaking a number of different cultural programs, aimed at supporting the relevant Afghan authorities in their efforts to protect and promote Afghanistan culture in all its dimensions.
UNESCO is looking for a committed Project Officer who will provide specialized analytical advice to UNESCO Kabul Culture Unit with specific regard to tangible heritage, urban planning in historical cities and other architecture-related tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall authority of the Director of the Kabul Office, overall supervision of the Head of Culture Unit and direct supervision of the Project Manager the Project Officer will take the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate activities undertaken in cooperation with government agencies, international and national organizations relating to the implementation of tangible heritage and architecture-related tasks, including undertaking missions as necessary and requested by the Project Manager;
- Contribute to the planning of CLT projects in historical-cultural contexts, especially in Bamiyan and Herat. This will include facilitating the Team’s coordination with all the local governmental agencies and local stakeholders (shuras, communities) involved in the plans and ensure proper monitoring is done for the plans’ concerned activities, including regular reporting to the Project Manager;
- Participate in provincial meetings and field missions as required in order to facilitate the work of UNESCO experts and staff in the field;
- Organize workshops and conferences related to tangible heritage, planning in historical contexts and architecture, including activities related to the UNESCO CLT support to Universities in Afghanistan (especially in Kabul, Herat and Bamiyan);
- Organization of awareness raising campaigns, public events and promotional activities done by UNESCO for the promotion within local communities of activities related to the promotion of tangible heritage and/or architecture-related initiatives;
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Project Manager.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Bamian, Herat, Kabul
Masters in urban planning, architecture, conservation of tangible heritage and/or related fields
At least 2-years relevant experience in urban planning, architectural and cultural projects; previous experience in dealing with local relevant authorities and institutions, including Universities, will be considered an asset;
Previous experience with UN Agencies and/or UNESCO would be considered as an asset.