|Date Posted:||Jun 16, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Jun 23, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||4|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||Fresh|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About United Nations Development Programmes:
UNDP has been providing gender technical support to the Government of Afghanistan through the Ministry of Womenâ€™s Affairs (MoWA) since 2002. In 2007 UNDP signed its project on Institutional Capacity Building for Gender Equality (Gender Equality) with the MoWA and the Ministry of Economy (MoEc) to strengthen capacity of selected state institutions for the advancement of gender equity and womenâ€™s empowerment in Afghanistan. During the 3 year duration of the Project from 2007-2010 (May), it developed effective gender mainstreaming models and strengthened the capacity of government ministries and institutions at national and sub-national levels. On completion of this Project, UNDP, Afghanistan has developed a new project which builds on the piloting initiatives of the previous project and focuses on 3 key objectives which are in line with the goals set out in the ANDS for gender equity and consistent with the Millennium Development Goals of gender equality and empowerment of women. The project has three components. These 3 objectives are:
1) Scaling up of capacity-building and policy development interventions of partner ministries through the development and implementation of sound governance strategies at the national and sub-national levels in partnership with line ministries (with emphasis on the Ministry of Womenâ€™s Affairs, MOWA), parliament and other institutions and networks engaged in the promotion of gender equality, including the development of gender-sensitive learning channels and production of knowledge-based products on gender mainstreaming.
2) Focus on the socio-economic empowerment of women through the design and implementation of demand-driven and context-specific poverty alleviation activities in line with major national policies.
3) Facilitate the inclusion of women in the peace and reintegration process by establishing linkages with relevant UNDP projects/initiatives of other development partners and initiatives for promoting a gender inclusive approach.
In addition, the emphasis of the new project is to enhance the capacity of the counterparts and other ministries and institutions involved in the implementation of the project both at the national and sub-national levels. The four positions of the Provincial Project Assistants have been created to ensure that the implementation of this component in the four provinces delivers the results and outputs. The four Provincial Project Assistants will be based in Mazar, Herat, Bamyan and Nangarhar.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the supervision and guidance of the Provincial Coordinator, the Project Assistants will perform the following main functions:
Summary of key functions:
â€¢ Assists the Provincial coordinators in planning and reporting;
â€¢ Provides necessary financial and administrative support;
â€¢ Handles and maintains HR-related assignments of the provincial offices;
â€¢ Facilitates and maintains procurement and logistics of the provincial offices.
1. Assist with the planning and reporting, focusing on achievement of the following results:
â€¢ Support to the Provincial Coordinator in preparing the work-plan for the implementation of project activities and in drafting the periodical narrative and financial reports, and taking minutes as required;
â€¢ Provision of assistance in conducting/facilitating workshops, trainings, seminars, meetings, etc.
2. Provides necessary financial and administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
â€¢ Processing of all financial payments and follow up on timely basis;
â€¢ Assistance in preparation of financial reports and documents as required;
â€¢ Ensuring that office property, vehicles, radios, generator, cameras phones, data processing, etc. are correctly used, properly maintained, accounted for and periodically reconciled against the accounting record;
â€¢ Guiding and monitoring daily transport arrangements (log books, vehicles records forms) as well as missions (travel clearance, travel authorization, road mission requests and security clearance);
â€¢ Helping to ensure full compliance of administration processes with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
â€¢ Ensuring arrangement of logistics for trainings, workshops and seminars, e.g., projectors, whiteboards, stationery and other requisites to deliver the programmes;
â€¢ Typing official correspondences and communications as and when required by the provincial coordinator;
â€¢ Assisting preparation and maintenance of the programme and activities filing system for the office;
â€¢ Assist in all other administrative and financial tasks as required by the Provincial Coordinator.
3. Handles and maintains HR-related assignments, focusing on achievement of the following results:
â€¢ Assisting in preparation and maintenance of personnel records filing system;
â€¢ Preparing, maintaining and monitoring all office personnel attendance, leave records and files;
â€¢ Maintaining and monitoring Human Resources-related issues for national and international staff (leave records, R+R, etc);
â€¢ Assisting in all other HR-related tasks as required by the Provincial Coordinator.
4. Facilitates procurement and logistics-related tasks, focusing on achievement of the following results:
â€¢ Assisting in procurement and purchase of basic office supplies, stationery, etc, maintaining stock, keeping inventory records and updating them on timely basis;
â€¢ Providing logistical support to the Gender Equality projectâ€™s provincial office team;
â€¢ Performing any other relevant duty as requested by the Provincial Coordinator.
Education and Experience:
â€¢ High School Certificate or Bachelorâ€™s degree in literature, social sciences and/or business and administration;
â€¢ Relevant work experience with national/international organizations in administration and finance;
â€¢ With high school certificate 3 years of experience and with bacholerâ€™s degree 1 years of experience is required;
â€¢ Familiarity of working with the government institutions UN Agencies and international organizations will be an asset;
â€¢ Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, etc) and skills in using internet important.
â€¢ Excellent communication skills in English, Dari and Pashto both oral and written.