|Date Posted:||Jun 11, 2022|
|Closing Date:||Jun 24, 2022|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||3|
|Functional Area:||Enviromental Science,Agriculture,Social Science|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||6 month(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations:
FAO Afghanistan is investing, across all 34 provinces, in resilience reinforcing actions that focus on protecting agriculture livelihoods and local ecosystems, boosting local production of nutritious foods and cash-incomes, and safeguarding critical agriculture sectoral development gains achieved over the past couple of decades through revitalizing rural markets and economy. In 2022-2023, FAO will, under the life-saving assistance Outcome (1) of the UN Transitional Engagement Framework (TEF), focus on the following four priority actions: (i) Safeguarding Wheat Seed Security, (ii) Enhancing Local Production of Nutritious Food, (iii) Livestock Protection and Dairy Sector Support, and (iv) Restoring Irrigation Structures to Boost Cash Incomes. Additionally, FAO will contribute towards resilience-building activities under Outcome 2 of the TEF
Three positions with respective duty stations of: Khost, Laghman and Nuristan, Afghanistan.
Combating land degradation and biodiversity loss by promoting sustainable rangeland management and biodiversity conservation project is a five year intervention of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) funded through the Global Environment Facility (GEF). This project aims to improve the sustainability of agriculture, forest, and land-use management through rehabilitating degraded rangelands, biodiversity conservation and enhancing and maintaining the livelihoods of Afghan rural communities in Khost, Laghman and Nuristan provinces in Afghanistan by employing the community-based natural resource management (CBNRM) approach. The project has three major components: (i) capacity-building at the national, sub-national, and district levels in community based natural resources management for sustainable rangeland and forest planning; (ii) Integrated management and restoration of degraded landscapes for biodiversity conservation and sustainable/regenerative rangeland management; (iii) Systematic creation and sharing of knowledge, project coordination, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), and institutional capacity development.
The Provincial Project Coordination Specialist will be responsible for leading the implementation of the project activities at the district and community levels, in close collaboration with local stakeholders, including coordination of CBNRM and landscape planning process. S/he will be highly involved in implementation of participatory assessment of natural resources of the target districts, developing holistic grazing practices and landscape management planning. In addition, s/he will be assisting in preparing community based natural resource plans, forest and biodiversity assessment in target districts. S/hhe will also be extensively involved in NRM capacity building of the stakeholders
The provincial coordinator will closely work with appointed specialists and support the project task team in Kabul in devising strategies and plans for implementation of sustainable natural landscape planning. S/he will collect data from the communities and will communicate them to Kabul for better CBNRM plans. S/hee will assist in implementation of forest restoration and management, agroforestry and small-scale greenhouses under various project outputs.
FAO is looking for three qualified national staff fill the position of provincial coordinator. This position will support the work of the GEF-funded “Combating land degradation and biodiversity loss by promoting sustainable rangeland management and biodiversity conservation” project in Afghanistan.
The provincial coordinator will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, and under the direct guidance/supervision National Professional Officer (GEF program manager).
Support the work of the GCP/AFG/102/GFF funded” Combating land degradation and biodiversity loss by promoting sustainable rangeland management and biodiversity conservation in Afghanistan” project. The post is located in three target provinces of Khost, Laghman and Nuristan. The project activities are implemented successfully, timely, and effectively and conform to the project's objectives. The position holder will ensure strong coordination, partnership and follow up with stakeholders as well as the beneficiaries.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Tasks and responsibilities
• Lead the implementation of the project activities at the district and local levels, in close collaboration with local stakeholders, including coordination of CBNRM and landscape planning process.
• Support implementation of the Stakeholder Engagement Plan, Gender Action Plan, and Environmental and Social Management Plan in close collaboration with the National Safeguards and Gender Expert.
• Provide and channel guidance to local partners and to local communities at learning sites and in the field.
• Provide capacity development to natural resources/agricultural/forestry units in the target districts.
• Provide capacity development to RMAs/FMAs/CDCs and community enterprises.
• Provide training and awareness raising to local stakeholders on sustainable rangeland management, forest restoration and management, and biodiversity conservation.
• Lead field-based M&E, together with local communities, of project environmental and socio-economic impacts.
• Support socio-economic survey of Nuristan NP under the lead of the National Social Safeguards and Gender Specialist.
• Liaise regularly with provincial partners and with PMU.
• Provide regular feedback and advance warning on conflicts, and assist with conflict resolution.
• Maintain a good network with local stakeholders.
• Work closely with the NPM and NPO and Kabul-based management staff to report on indicators.
• Assist the NPM/NPO in managing project staff and consultants working at field sites and ensure that their reports and results are delivered on time.
• Provide any other necessary support to the NPM/NPO in field implementation of the project.
• Perform any other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced degree (Master) or University degree (Bachelor) in environmental science, watershed management, Forestry, Rangeland, Climate Change.
• For advance degree at least five (5) years of relevant work experience in natural resource management, forestry, rangeland, water and watershed management.
• For university degree at least seven (7) years of relevant work experience in natural resource management, forestry, rangeland, water and watershed management.
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and local languages (Pashto and/or Dari);
• National of Afghanistan.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Prior work experience with international organizations, including INGOs, bilateral or multilateral agencies, and UN agencies is desirable;
• Ability to effectively coordinate an extensive, multi-stakeholder project with results-based management;
• Ability to deal with technical, and people management challenges, administer budgets and work effectively with all staff and with groups involved in the project;
• Experience in multi-stakeholder analysis, and in mobilizing or creating awareness about development projects;
• Good written communication skills, including in emergency settings;
• Demonstrated initiative and ability to deliver results within deadlines;
• Experience organizing stakeholder meetings or workshops at national and provincial level;
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with other staff/colleagues from different cultural backgrounds as well as with line departments, counterparts, and other stakeholders at the province level;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office package.
• Experience, Skills, and Abilities
• Qualification, Awareness, and Knowledge Sharing
• Demonstrate A High Level of Effective Team Management
• Interpersonal and Administrative Skills
• Written and Oral/Verbal Communication Skills
• Knowledge of Context, Challenges, and Opportunities