|Date Posted:||Jan 11, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jan 30, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||4 Years|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and livestock (MAIL):
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is one of the ministries of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. Currently, Engineer Nasir Ahmad Durrani is head of the ministry.
The ministry is working on the development and modernization of agriculture, livestock and horticulture.
Agriculture accounts for the source of livelihood of 80 percent of the country's population, and hence the Afghan Ministry of Agriculture is an institution that is continually trying to improve agriculture, increase yields, and crop farming.
The ministry launches programs in the fields of agriculture, livestock and horticulture to support the farmers, manage natural resources, and strengthen agricultural economics. Ministry of Agriculture's programs include promotion and introduction of higher-value economic crops, strengthening traditional products, identifying and publishing farm-tailored land technologies, boosting cooperative programs, agricultural economics, and export with marketing.
The ministry has a large structure in the provincial centers and in each province, an agricultural directorate and in each district, there is an agricultural affairs department. These institutions work to improve and modernize cultivation practices, increase crops, improve gardening, educate farmers, gardeners and livestock, and artificial insemination of animals and increase dairy products.
Afghanistan is a mountainous country with vast deserts and brilliant history of several millennia.
Its geographic location and topography is comparable only with a limited number of Asian countries.
The geographic shape of the Afghanistan begins from low levels and rise to high altitudes, finally reaching the “Roof of the World”; this shows that this geography has different ecosystems, changing of the ecosystems causes beauty and attractiveness in our land.
Proper weather is one of the important characteristic which has given Afghanistan a specific feature.
Our country is now under construction; these efforts is going on with the cooperation of hard-working people, agriculture forms one of the important areas of it.
The first agricultural management was created during reign of King Amanullah Khan in 1919; during the reign of king Habibullah Khan and after that a series of measures was adopted for agricultural development.
The measures taken by the Ministry of agriculture from 1918-1937 in the field of agriculture, reforestation, construction of rivers, planting of trees, formation of experimental agricultural farms, nurseries and others are as follow:
1. Construction of dams and excavation of canals from 1918- 1931.
2. Creation of first independent directorate of agriculture in 1937.
3. Creation of Ministry of Agriculture in 1948.
4. Renaming of Ministry of Agriculture to Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation in 1960.
Provincial Project Implementation Officer will be responsible for all horticulture related activities of the horticultural projects under the direct supervision of the Horticultural Projects coordinator. He/she will lead all provincial activities of the horticultural projects unit and implements the horticultural projects
Provinces to travel:
· Strong report-writing skills in English, Dari and Pashto;
· Able to enter data into computer (proficient in Word and Excel is must);
· Fluency in the National Languages as well as English;
· Capacity to interact with policy planners, senior officials of government
· Outstanding analytical skills.
· Ability to present coherent and convincing positions both in writing and orally;
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Survey (site selection, bed preparation and orchard design) and implement related provincial project interrelated activities of the province projects in the district level.
- Assist service providers in the design and implementation of appropriate participatory tools and methodologies so as to ensure establishing improved organic and commercial orchards and with the participation in planning and monitoring of specific project activities.
- Establishment of horticulture collections, monitoring and evaluation to provide certified seedlings.
- Conduct any outcome of impact survey that may be required in order to assess project success.
- Help analyze data (both qualitative and quantitative) to identify significant trends requiring corrective action, assess possible causes, and help identify solutions to provide better services.
- Assist in selection, distribution, sorting and packaging tools and establishment of fruit processing factory.
- Assist in establishment of horticulture production and processing associations.
- In collaboration with the Head of Horticultural Projects Implementation Unit identify important trends, particularly common problems that require a prompt response.
- Collecting predicted reports, proposals, and plans from provincial agriculture departments in order to propose projects.
· Develop work progress reports on weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually basis and submit directly to the Head of Horticultural Projects Implementation Unit;
· And some other activities when recommend from Head of Horticultural Projects Implementation Unit and Horticulture Development Department side.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Bamyan, Ghazni, Helmand, Farah
At least bachelor’s degree in agriculture prefer to horticulture from an recognized university with minimum four years’ work experience in horticulture sector, and with Master’s degree two years relevant experience is a must;
Experience in market research and experienced in implementing fruit production and commercial orchards establishment and other relevant development projects;