|Date Posted:||May 8, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 20, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||10 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Catalyzing Afghan Agricultural Innovation (CAAI) USAID Project:
Afghan agricultural education faces many challenges ranging from infrastructure and governance to curriculum development and training of education professionals. Yet, the livelihoods of 50 percent of the country’s population are tied to production agriculture, either directly or indirectly. The Catalyzing Afghan Agricultural Innovation (CAAI) program is five-year program commenced on May 28, 2018 and is funded by USAID under an Associate Award which will improve the capacity of agricultural educational institutions to serve their clientele groups. CAAI will improve relevance and capacity in agricultural education and promote new roles for educators and researchers by building relationships among them and with the private sector.
A robust agricultural economy is dependent on a modern agricultural education system that provides both relevant education and skills to students, farmers, and extension educators alike. The effective coordination and communication of missions and objectives across all segments of agriculture is essential for the success of CAAI.
The Provincial Technical Specialist will assist in leading the technical agricultural education and training activities of the CAAI project, collaborating in these activities with partners in the education, public and private sectors, and with USAID programs working in agriculture and agricultural education.
The Provincial Technical Specialist will work closely with stakeholders at DAIL, Faculties of Agriculture, TVET AVI, agriculture high schools, private sector, and USAID programs, and recommend technical activities to build the human and institutional capacity using CAAI’s practical training methodology. This will involve putting in place systems of planned technical activities for targeted audiences across agriculture stakeholder groups.
Report to: Provincial Site Coordinator/DCOP
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to the project’s collaborative, province-specific value chain activities, including applied research and educators and faculty development – Kandahar (Grape, Raisin, Pomegranate and Figs)
- Develop a local agricultural innovation platform that links collaborators; focus on developing capacity related to specific value chains/commodities at all levels across the platform, including agriculture faculties, institutes, agricultural high schools, extension and farmers
- Establish close working relationships with all development partners operating within the technical education field to enable effective technical and financial assistance
- Work closely with the network of assigned technical schools during project implementation
- Identify training needs students and teachers of Agricultural high schools, institutes and faculties; design and deliver relevant trainings and coordinate others with local resource persons/centers
- Work closely with the Afghanistan private sector to encourage and mobilize private sector participation in project activities
- Ensure the policies and strategies relating to technical education are developed within the country established educational framework
- Participate in project monitoring, data collection and update relevant databases
- Prepare and present reports and other relevant activities assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture related field: Agricultural education, Agricultural technologies, TVET Education, Agricultural Research, Extension, Master’s degree preferred
- Experience conducting applied research
- Design and prepare training modules and materials and conduct formal and practical trainings to educators and students
- Excellent English and Pashto/Dari written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the Afghanistan TVET, higher education, and agriculture education
- Administrative and time management skills; ability to balance multiple priorities and keep up with project scope changes
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work well across cultures and communicate with various audiences
- Proficient in MS Office and internet applications.
- Project related short-term travel
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Proficiency in Pashto communication skills
- Prior experience working in agriculture education, universities, TVET, MoHE, MAIL, DAIL and/or other ministries