|Date Posted:||Jul 13, 2021|
|Closing Date:||Jul 24, 2021|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About World Health Organization:
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the technical and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership in global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical and implementation support and monitoring and assessing health trends. In Afghanistan, WHO works to improve the health and well-being of all Afghans by preventing and reducing mortality, morbidity and disability and strengthening health services in close coordination with national and international partners.
Purpose of the Post:
In the context of WHO Health Emergencies Programme/WHE and concurrent COVID-19 pandemic, the public health officer will contribute to developing the country prevention, preparedness, detection and response capacities to public health emergencies and potential epidemics/pandemics of high threat pathogens. The incumbent will provide technical guidance to national counterparts including public health and other related authorities in line with WHO technical guidelines.
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective (Overview of the programme):
The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Program is to help countries, and to coordinate international action, when needed, in order to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and other public health emergencies.
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment):
The Public Health Officer will work under direct supervision of the Epidemiologist IHP/CPI and overall guidance of WHO Health Emergencies Team Leader.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
• Facilitate planning, implementation and updating of National Action Plan for Health Security in coordination with relevant stakeholders
• Adapt global and regional tools for assessments of PoEs and finalize in coordination with national stakeholders
• Provide technical guidance to MoPH on country health emergencies preparedness
Provide technical support to MOPH and other relevant stakeholders to develop One Heath Strategy and facilitate its implementation
• Support country in enhancing one-health coordination mechanism and capacity development for zoonotic diseases
• Work closely with national counterparts for legislative update including mandatory reporting of priority diseases, applying public health and social measures during pandemic
• Support the country to develop capacity on Chemical, Biological and Radionuclear/CBRN events
• Prepare detailed reports to the donors, WHO EMRO and HQ when needed
• Prepare Request for proposals/RFP and Request for Quotation/RFQ when required
1) Producing results
2) Fostering Integration and Teamwork
3) Communicating in a credible and effective way
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Good technical skills in Public Health
- Good epidemiology and data Analytical skill
- Good communication skill
Essential: First level university degree is required in medicine/MD
Desirable: Postgraduate degree in public health or equivalent.
Essential: At least 5 years of relevant experience in public health
Desirable: Working experience with WHO/ UN or international nongovernmental organization
Languages: Very good knowledge of English and local languages.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office and epidemiological data analyses tools
Screening of the candidates;
Long List - The candidates shall be longlisted base on the minimum qualifications and relevant experience to the Vacancy Notice (VN).
Short List - Further shortlist shall be done based on years of relevant experience, higher education and required skills.
WHO may conduct written/presentation and interview or combination of the mentioned mediums to select the most qualified candidate
WHO is an equal opportunity employer and qualiﬁed women are particularly encouraged to apply and equally qualiﬁed female candidate will be given preference.