|Date Posted:||Aug 10, 2021|
|Closing Date:||Aug 19, 2021|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Quality Control (QC)|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade CAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
The aim of the EQRA Project is “to increase equitable access to primary and secondary education, particularly girls, in selected lagging provinces, and to improve learning conditions in Afghanistan.” EQRA introduces a shift from monitoring only the enrollment of students (which also includes attention to students designated as ‘permanently absent’) to focusing on bringing children into school as well as student attendance. The Education Quality Reform for Afghanistan (EQRA) is fully aligned with the goals of the Afghanistan National Strategic Plan (NESP III). The project is designed to (A) increase equitable access in disadvantaged districts especially for girls; (B) improve quality of instruction/education service delivery and (C) enhance MoE governance and management capacity. The project focuses on the construction and expansion of schools, provide community-based education to out of school children, reform curriculum for all grades, improve and ensure textbooks delivery to schools, enhance academic supervision, strengthen teacher & TTC quality, improve execution of budget, strengthen and increase use of EMIS, implement capacity building reform, and reform recruitment process for civil service.
Publication and Quality Control Specialist will be assessing textbooks/MoE publications’ quality, in close coordination with DPI’s relevant Tashkil staff and EQRA funded TAs. The Publication and Quality Control Specialist will report to the DPI Director and Textbooks Print Production and Distribution General Manager, and will be responsible for the following:
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Development and improvement of textbooks printing quality standards, quality control of printing process, and certification of textbooks printed, in coordination with DPI’s top management.
· Develop and improve technical guidelines for; textbooks standards and specifications for printing; pre-qualification of printing houses; technical evaluation of bid documents for textbook printing; and inspection and quality control of textbooks printing processes, in coordination with DPI’s top management.
· Develop and improve discussion paper, in coordination with DPI’s top management, for private sector involvement in printing of textbooks through cost recovery and submit it to DPI for further process of the directorate.
· Develop and maintain an up-to-date database of printing houses (national, regional, and international).
· Establish textbooks print specifications for bid documents including the types of permissible raw material that is not harmful for the school children, in the coordination of DPI’s top management.
· Together with other assigned staff carry out pre-qualification and assessment of printing houses.
· Carry out inspection and quality control of textbooks being printed for the ministry of education and ensure that the textbooks printed are according to the ministry of education's specifications and quality standards.
· Identification and training of MOE staff who will be responsible for the standards and quality control.
· Assess current staffing in the quality control system and recommend any changes, new recruitment, or training that is compatible with any new developments to be implemented in coordination with DPI’s top management.
· Work in close consultation with Textbooks Print Production and Distribution General Manager on technical matters related to the textbooks.
· Other quality control-related activities that arise in the course carrying out the above duties, or as instructed by the General Manager and the Directorate of Publication and Information.
Deliverables: Publication and Quality Control Specialist
· Technical guidelines and Technical Specification Report as and when required for all textbooks printing and distribution projects.
· Cost estimation reports based on given textbooks quality standards for each textbooks printing project
· Bid Evaluation Report for all textbooks’ printing bids, as and when required.
· Pre-print inspection of printing houses annually and for each printing project.
· Post print Inspection report for each textbooks printing project.
· Database updating report for printing houses (national, regional and international) biannually.
· Report on the overall performance of third parties for each specific textbooks printing project.
· Report on on-job assessment and training of quality control tashkil staff annually.
a. At least Bachelor’s degree in any field.
a. At least 5 years of experience in publication/related field, particularly having knowledge of (paper quality, verities of paper, ink, standard sewing, and having information about center pin is highly preferable)
b. At least he/she should have experience in NGO, INGO, public and private organizations in the relevant field.
1. The recruitment will be done through transparent and competitive processes.
2) Work conditions
1. The Publication & Quality Control specialist will work according to Afghanistan MoE’s and donors' rules and regulations.
2. MoE will provide a proper workstation at MoE's main building.
1. The initial three months will be considered a probationary period.
2. A formal performance evaluation shall be conducted annually jointly by the relevant department and HR
3. An exit interview will be conducted upon completion of the contract. This exit interview constitutes a condition for final payment.
4. These reporting obligations would be in addition to any reporting and evaluation obligations decided and directly conducted by the Ministry and/or World Bank.
5. The contract extension is subject to fund availability, the organization’s need, and satisfactory performance.
a. Strong computer Skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
b. Excellent communication skills in English, Pashto, and Dari languages.
c. Proposal and report writing skills
d. Strong arithmetical, statistical, and mathematical skills.
e. Must be willing to travel throughout Afghanistan and abroad.