|Date Posted:||Apr 29, 2010|
|Reference:||ASMED KAB 04|
|Closing Date:||May 5, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Economic Growth|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
ASMED works directly and indirectly with a number of SMEs engaged in the production of a wide variety of items for domestic and export sales. Many of these are in the marble, carpet, handicraft, wool and cashmere, and gemstone sectors. Other examples of manufacturing SMEs include textile companies, producers of construction materials, carton and packaging producers, and small scale equipment manufacturers. In addition, there are a number of services companies that would benefit from implementing quality assurance programs. The majority of these businesses have very little awareness of how to implement adequate quality control and assurance systems in order to compete successfully in domestic and international markets.
The consultant will assist ASMED to design and implement a program to build capacity within local business service providers to deliver advisory and training services to SMEs in quality management. BSPs completing the program should be able to provide training and consultancy services to SMEs that meet the needs of local industry, develop an awareness program on quality assurance, and advise companies on how to source services for material standards testing, conformity assessments, ISO 9001 certification and other quality assurance activities as needed by Afghan SMEs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Quality Assurance Advisor will work closely with ASMEDâ€™s BDS team to undertake the following tasks:
1. Define realistic and achievable goals and objectives for the training program, geared towards building the capacity within BSPs to deliver services to Afghan SMEs for which there is sufficient domestic demand to provide gainful employment for local consultants.
2. The training program will be based on the ISO9000 Model and will represent a realistic approach to the development of a Quality Program which can be implemented in the SME sector in Afghanistan. To achieve this the program will have
An overview of the ISO 9000 core standards and ISO 9001/9002 in particular as well as an introduction to common national standards likely to be encountered .
A step-by-step process to implement a quality management system
Examples of typical applications of the documents, and of standards
A simplified quality program containing the essential
o Overall requirements for the quality management system and documentation
o Management responsibility, focus, policy, planning and objectives
o Resource management and allocation
o Product realization and process management, and
o Measurement, monitoring, analysis and improvement.
3. The program text, illustrations, documentation, sample procedures and Quality Records and Forms will be available in Dari and Pashto as well as English.
4. Assist BDS team in the identification and selection of BSPs or independent candidates to receive capacity building training.
5. Develop a structure and plan for implementation of the capacity building program that is agreed on by the ASMED BDS Advisor and COP.
6. Develop a core curriculum for the program of training, including recommended training programs and materials.
7. Carry out training of a selected group of BSPâ€™s, as identified by BDS Component, ASMED.
OUPUTS AND DELIVERABLES:
1. Needs assessment completed and priority service areas defined.
2. Activity Scope of Work for Quality Assurance Capacity Building approved by COP.
3. Shortlist of candidates for training.
4. Core curriculum as specified above
5. Five BSPs trained in the requirements and capable of implementing the program.
1. Familiarity with internationally recognized quality control and quality assurance systems.
2. Familiarity with Afghan SMEs needs for consultancy, training, and services for quality assurance.
3. Proven ability to train and mentor local national staff in quality assurance issues
4. Good spoken and written English language skills
5. Ability to communicate effectively with organizations and businesses with limited English language capabilities is desirable.