|Date Posted:||Oct 18, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Oct 31, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||4|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities. The Ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long-term strengthening of local agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development of communities. Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) and Asian Development Bank (ADB) established Central Program Management Office (CPMO) which is a permanent office to provide operational (administration, finance, procurement, reporting, technical and, monitoring and evaluation) support to all existing and forthcoming projects of ADB within the MAIL. The Project Management Unit (PMU), under the CPMO is responsible for day to day implementation of the Project including (i) overall management and coordination of the relevant outputs; (ii) guiding and overseeing the work of the regional Provincial Implementation Units (PIUs); (iii) establishment and implementation of the project performance management system. The proposed project help strengthen Afghanistan’s horticulture value chain by (i) improving processing efficiency and marketing capacity of domestic agro-business enterprises (ABEs); (ii) modernizing crop production through better planting material, trellising, modern green houses, and on-farm facilities; and (iii) contributing to the national effort in establishing internationally recognized brands of Afghan horticulture produce. It will increase value addition for horticultural commodities produced in eleven (11) provinces in Central, South, and East Afghanistan. As such, the project contribute to increasing import substitution of fresh and processed fruit and vegetables, and expanding exports of high-value fruit, vegetables, and nuts in which the country has a comparative advantage. The project is aligned with the following impact: improved agricultural productivity and food security. The project will have the following outcome: production and value addition of horticulture products increased. The two outputs are (i) horticulture value-chain infrastructure and facilities improved; and (ii) national capacity for horticulture export expansion and import substitution developed.
The Civil Engineer will work under the direct supervision of the Regional Manager and will be responsible for the design and construction supervision of the on-farm facilities, pack-houses, cold storage and the design of any other sub-project required under this position. The Civil Engineer will work in close coordination with the project technical (horticulture and agribusiness) teams and with the engineering unit of the central program management office (CPMO) to ensure the sub-projects are completed within the approved timeline, specification and budget.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Design and draw feasible on-farm and agribusiness level structures such as; zero-energy storages, raisin drying houses, water storage ponds, cold storages, green-houses, pack-houses and any other construction work that are required for successful implementation of the project activities in the field;
• Coordinate the design and drawings of the structures with the supervising civil engineer of the implementation support consultants (ISC) hired by the project and the engineering unit of the CPMO;
• With the assistance of the CPMO engineering team, develop work plans, conduct preliminary assessments, surveys, design, budgeting and detailed bill of quantities (BOQs) for the pre-identified sub-projects;
• Supervise the procurement and installation of the construction materials required for the establishment of a facility, and as per the approved design and bill of quantities;
• Contribute in developing sub-project investment reports whereas mainly doing the designs of the structures and construction facilities;
• Monitor, verify and document regularly the progress status of the approved sub-projects in coordination with the horticulture and agribusiness teams;
• Ensure that the construction work progresses well and in accordance to the approved designs and plans;
• Develop and maintain professional and good relationship with the sub-projects subcontractors, project consultants and co-workers, traders and farmers;
• Review materials acquisitions, RFQs, submittals and ensure contract performance measures are met per the division discipline;
• Perform QA/QC of the project activities based on the designs of the project and its specification;
• Coordinate and communicate with the CPMO engineering unit, finance and procurement units on processing and release of payments for the establishment and construction of cold storages, raisin drying houses, green houses, pack houses and orchards rehabilitations and establishment;
• Develop weekly, monthly and annual construction work progress reports;
• Analyze the construction work in the field, propose appropriate recommendations and, report and solve issues as they may arise during the implementation of the project; and,
• Any other task assigned by the line manager.
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with at least 5 years of relevant professional experience in the developing, construction and design of agriculture facilities, preferably of similar type as mentioned above;
• Solid skills in assessments, cost surveying and budget estimation for construction;
• Specialized training or certificate in construction of structures. Experience with ADB funded projects and knowledge of ADB rules will be an advantage;
• Excellent design and drafting skills and proficiency with engineering software’s (i.e. Auto Cad, SAP2000, 12D, Civil 3D);
• Fluency (both; written and verbal) in English and as well in local languages (Pashto/Dari);
• Efficiency in calculation and estimation of engineering designs and surveys; and,
• Ability to work under pressure and work extra hours when required.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Nangarhar, Bamyan, Ghazni, Paktya
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to this emails; firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Jamal Mina, Kabul University Road, Kabul, Afghanistan
*No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title and vacancy number in the subject line of the email. *
Only selected candidates will be called for written test/Interview.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer, which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.