|Date Posted:||Mar 25, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Apr 12, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Business Administration|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
Based on Presidential Decree No. 11 dated April 21, 2018, the mandate for vocational education has been transferred from the Ministry of Education and Deputy Ministry of TVET to a newly established Technical and Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA).
TVETA’s mission is to work towards a modern, relevant, responsive, inclusive and equitable TVET system that promotes more employment of better quality individuals, higher productivity for enterprises, and growth and development for society.
Currently TVETA administers formal TVET through three types of programs covering 71 trades, 301 schools and institutes across 34 provinces in Afghanistan. These include a two-year program at institute level covering grades 13-14; a three-year program at high school level covering grades 10-12; and a five-year integrated program covering grades 10-14.
Recently TVETA with technical support from the World Bank has carried out an institutional and functional capacity assessment and as result a comprehensive report is prepared and approved. The report has a number of key recommendations for reform agenda in all aspects of TVET with specific suggestion to address challenges with regards to budgeting and financial management process and mechanism. TVET-A is committed reform its financial management system based on report findings. Thus, at action plans is being developed in a consultative process for implementation of those recommendations. To do this TEVT-A has to enhance its capacity in the Finance Department to take reformative steps. Therefore, TVETA with financial support of ASDP-II project will hire a technical advisor for financial reforms.
Reporting directly to the Head of TVETA and working in close collaboration with the Admin and Finance Directorate, the Admin and Finance Advisor will be responsible for laying the foundation for an effective financial system by developing the necessary systems, processes, policies and guidelines that would help ensure better accountability, transparency, information dissemination and timely reporting at TVETA. He / she will also be responsible for implementing the recommendations highlighted in the Institutional Capacity Assessment report of TVETA and the corresponding Action Plan in addition to providing overall guidance and support in all aspects of financial management, including implementation, budgeting, expenditure tracking, and financial reporting and accounting.
Requires travel to provinces:
· Knowledge of cost principles, accounting rules, expenditure analysis and contract management
· Familiarity with Afghan Government financial policies and administrative procedures
· Proficiency in the use of financial software applications (QuickBooks), databases, spreadsheets, and/or word processing. Packages include: Microsoft Outlook, Access, Excel and Word.
· Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
· Proficiency in one of the national languages and good knowledge of English language
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide policy advice on admin and financial issues to TVETA Admin and Finance Directorate and the Head of TVETA
· Establish an effective financial system by developing the necessary systems, processes and policies that would help ensure better accountability, transparency, information dissemination and timely reporting
· In close coordination with TVETA Admin and Finance Directorate provide support:
ü Maintaining and administering proper financial accounting system.
ü Preparing accurate budgets, track expenses, ensure that required financial controls and cost-performance monitoring mechanisms are in place and adhered to
ü Preventing over or under expenditure of budgets, ensure proper safeguards of funds and ensure compliance with established government financial, accounting and administrative procedures.
ü Providing guidance, monitoring and support to Admin and Finance team, including procurement for goods and services, logistical support for staff and consultants, financial oversight of contractors (as needed)
· Develop specific and comprehensive service standards for TVETA’s main expenditure categories along with their corresponding regulations, implementation guidelines and manuals for provincial level and facility level staff, as well as external stakeholders
· Reassess budget priorities and efficiency at national level, reform and standardize budget and procurement process at subnational level
· Reassess budget priorities against TVETA strategic and policy objectives (wages and salaries or operations and management) and evaluate the efficiency of current TVETA spending (professional and cadre allowances, haquzama; dorm/food spending).
· Introduce output-based formula to allocate budget for TVETA Provincial Technical and Vocational Directorates (PVTD), schools and institutes (accurately costing their operations)
· Reform the process for TVET school and institute procurement; giving schools discretion over prioritizing their procurement needs; making provincial directorates accountable for school budget execution; establishing a procurement feedback loop with schools; and exploring options for delegating FM authorities to schools and institutes
· Provide financial capacity-building for Admin and Finance Directorate staff
· Perform other related duties assigned by the Head of TVETA.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other relevant field to the position requirements.
At least five years of experience in financial management, of which at least three years should be with the Afghan government in a similar role.
Interested Afghan candidates are requested to send their CVs via e-mail.
- (Please make sure you put the title of the position and the reference number of the position at the title of Email, otherwise your application will not be considered.)
Female candidates are encouraged to apply for this position.
For in person submission of application refer to below address
TVET Authority/ASDPII Project
Address: Technical Vocational Education and Training Authority, Dehbori, behind of Music School, Kabul, Afghanistan