|Date Posted:||Jun 30, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 9, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Functional Area:||Engineering,Agriculture Engeenring|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
MAIL-CBARD (Community Based Agriculture & Rural Development Project)
Agriculture is the foundational basis of Afghan society. Approximately 80% of the population is engaged in agriculture directly or in secondary or tertiary activities. It is in this sector that the future of Afghanistan’s wealth and potential for capital accumulation resides. While some of Afghanistan’s former agricultural infrastructure have been restored, considerably more, remains to be done. Lack of agriculture technology, infrastructure, and difficulty in accessing markets by farmers still remain as challenges in the sector. This is in spite of the enormous potential of agriculture as the sector that can drive economic growth.
These challenges and dependence of rural households on low-value crops on scarce arable land and their vulnerability to increasingly severe droughts and floods due to climate change adversely contribute to viability of opium poppy cultivation as an easily marketable and drought-resistant option. Having said this, it also presents an opportunity as farmers, producers, and processors and traders are demanding increased support from the government, realizing the potential of agriculture as a viable economic option if provided with the requisite technologies and infrastructure.
The Community Based Agriculture and Rural Development (CBARD) project funded by the US Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement (INL) aims at supporting improved household income reducing dependency on illicit cultivation / production in 170 selected communities in Nangarhar, Farah and Badghis provinces. The project objective is to prove the viability of high-value agricultural-based interventions in improving local economies of Nangarhar, Badghis and Farah as a sustainable alternative to illicit crop cultivation. The project has two outputs; (i) Local production of, and market for, high-value crops improved; (ii) Community-based agro-business infrastructure are built, developed, and/or strengthened. The project will be implemented by MAIL. The Programme supported by UNDP, provides a framework for increased cohesion of policies, strategies, and results of the ongoing and future joint interventions between MAIL and UNDP
Under the direct supervision of the National Project Manager and Senior Civil Engineer, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Design engineer will be responsible for the timely production of final designs of all irrigation infrastructures and agricultural civil structures, and has to work with a team of engineers, consultants and technicians involved in designing, extension of existing canal systems, repairing, maintaining, and construction of water related structures at project sites, design of agriculture post-harvest management facilities. He/ She also has to work in close coordination with the project team in sub-project identification and assessment, conducting engineering surveys in all the target areas.
The Irrigation Engineer will work under the direct supervision of the PM and Senior Irrigation Engineer in close coordination with Irrigation Directorate of MAIL. The Irrigation Engineer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
· Review the topographic, land cover and irrigation map of the target areas and identify the best locations for future interventions of the project;
· Check and verification of all site plans, profiles, designs and cost estimation of the complete irrigation schemes including all irrigation infrastructures e.g field turnouts, drop structures, culverts, weirs, and community access points
· Prepare detail plans for feasibility study, survey and design of the identified community based irrigation projects;
· Prepare topographical maps, based on survey data.
· Collect the essential survey data for the senior civil engineer and ensure that the data is properly filed;
· Search for available topographical data (maps, GIS, Google Earth).
· Finalize list of selected projects based on the selection criteria in close coordination with provincial field office;
· Prepare human resources plan for technical survey, design and estimation of the community based sub-projects;
· Prepare community mobilization plan and human resources plan for community mobilization, while keeping in mind the resources are not duplicated;
· Prepare annual work and budget plan for the community based irrigation and agricultural facilities sun-projects as per the project development objectives;
· Ensure designs/deliverables are compliant with scope of work and contract requirements
· Provide construction supervision and quality control;
· Provide technical inputs to procurement unit for preparation of the tender documents for procuring services and works related to irrigation;
· Prepare progress and financial reports and provides regular reports and presentations to Senior Management as needed;
· Travel to the sites wherever and whenever required;
· Be responsible for the implementation of the infrastructure;
· In liaison with the procurement team prepare and assist in the preparation of the TOR, bidding documents, requests for proposals/quotations, bid evaluation reports for procurement of civil works, goods and technical assistance services.
· Prepare operations and maintenance program of the infrastructures
· In collaboration with the environment officer, ensure that environmental mitigation measures are implemented as part of the infrastructure;
· Carryout regular supervision at field level to ensure full compliance of technical, social and environmental aspects during implementation;
· Deliver designed trainings to CDCs as required
· Liaise with provincial offices and relevant government offices in technical and social matters;
· Promote exchanging ideas, lessons learned between the four provinces with respect to technical, social and considerations;
· Work closely with irrigation department to ensure proper selection of sites at river basin level in all four provinces for irrigation, water harvesting and micro hydro schemes;
· Prepare standard design formats that can readily be available to all district in order to maintain consistency and speed up the process;
· Work closely honestly and hardly to ensure quality control measures are adopted at field level.
· Writing technical reports
· Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor
Irrigation infrastructures are timely and appropriately identified, surveyed and designed
Agriculture post-harvest management facilities and infrastructures are timely and appropriately identified, surveyed and designed
Quality assurance reports whereas field problems are addressed and provided to Project Manager in a timely manner
Selected infrastructures are successfully implemented within the planned timelines and budget
Related trainings are developed and successfully delivered
The candidate must have a Bachelor Degree in Civil engineering from a recognized university.
· At least 4 years in relevant working experience.
· Work experience in designing and supervising irrigation/agricultural infrastructure construction is an asset
Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
· Excellent English written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports;
· Ability to speak, read and write technical and conversational English;
· Ability to understand using of AutoCAD civil 3D and Water CAD
· Ability to understand using MS. Excel, MS. Word, MS. PowerPoint
· Ability to understand new terminology and concepts easily and to synthesize information from different sources into a coherent project document;
· Skill in negotiating effectively in sensitive situations;
· Skill in achieving results through persuading, influencing and working with others;
· Skill in facilitating meetings effectively and efficiently and to resolve conflicts as they arise;
· Good team player, self-starter, has ability to work under minimum supervision and maintain good relationships.
Willingness to travel to CBARD-West targeted districts and villages.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Badghis, Farah
All interested candidates who meet the above mentioned qualifications, should apply online by sending their updated CV and Cover letter to:
Please don’t forget to type the Vacancy Announcement Number (VA# CBARD-38) and name of the province applied for in Subject while applying online.
Please note that Applications after the deadline will not be considered
Qualified Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply